cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Unable to Invoke Service on MySqlThing: null using MySQL Relational Database Extension

wspadola
7-Bedrock

Unable to Invoke Service on MySqlThing: null using MySQL Relational Database Extension

I'm trying to connect to a MySQL 5.2.39 database and am receiving an error when running my SQL (Query) service.

Unable to Invoke Service QueryMasterTableSQL on MySqlThing: null

• I have confirmed that I am able to connect using the proper credentials to the database as well as run the actual query I've created in my service manually using the MySQL Workbench.
  • The connection validation string is "SELECT 1"
  • Both the Thingworx and MySQL are installed on the same machine, port 3306 is open.
  • I am also using the most recent download of the MySQL connector from the Thingworx Marketplace.

(For what it's worth, I have also tried MySQL 8 (with MySQL 5.x compatibility installed on another server) and also receive the same error)

I see no errors in other logs. Does anyone have any advice on what I can correct in order for Query Service to work?

3 REPLIES 3
supandey
19-Tanzanite
(To:wspadola)

Hi @wspadola what about the isConnected property for this database thing which you are connecting to mySQL? Is it showing as true while this service fails to invoke?

supandey
19-Tanzanite
(To:supandey)

@wspadola Another quick thought, are you able to telnet on that port using the machine name / IP where MySQL DB is installed?

I attempted the same and then i figured MySQL doesn't allow remote connections unless the use is white listed; so after some looking around i fixed by starting MySQL CLI directly on the machine where MySQL DB is installed and added a specific user that's allowed to make remote connections :

> CREATE USER 'twadmin'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY '$omePassword873';

> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'twadmin'@'%' WITH GRANT OPTION; 

Though you might want to give this to exiting root user, instead of creating another user (like what's done above) with root like access and with open remote access - likely not recommended for the production environment.

I'm afraid while the problem has been resolved, I have not found the root cause.

I did make sure that the credentials were correct, the firewall was open, and that the database allowed the connection, but it would continue to say "null".

If I understand correctly though, perhaps it takes a few moments to connect.  I did wait a few minutes, I've even restarted the Tomcat service.  These did not resolve the issue as it stood at the time.

During one of my debugging sessions, I uninstalled the extension, restarted Tomcat and tried to start from "square one": installing the extension "fresh".  In doing so, I must have changed some behaviour in my environment, as the extension connected successfully and started to return query resultsets as it normally should.

While I don't have access to the MySQL server I'm connecting to, I will try to hunt down potential reasons as the engagement progresses and update this thread with anything.

Thank you for your responses, @supandey.

Top Tags