cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Unable to connect to Composer after first time installation

jgrey1
1-Newbie

Unable to connect to Composer after first time installation

Made a first time installation of Thingworx server, and I am pretty new to IT.

The installation seemed to go pretty well. I followed the documentation to the letter. http://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/173115/en/Installing_ThingWorx_8.0_1.1_.pdf

However, at the point on page 18 where the server is to be connected to the first time, the browser yielded a "problem loading page" error, i.e. couldn't establish a connection. Alternatively, it also yielded a 401 error, but this was unable to be replicated at all, and was inconsistent with the problem loading page error.

Everything is deployed, the Tomcat service is active, and the license is in the ThingworxPlatform folder.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:jgrey1)

Currently we only support the highest minor version of 9.4, which is 9.4.11 I believe. Please downgrade your Postgresql and see if the problem persists.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
posipova
20-Turquoise

Could you please provide the Application log found in ThingworxStorage/logs on your hard drive?

I took a look at the logs, which I have attached. Then I tried the fixes noted in Frequently Seen Errors upon launching the Thingworx application:

My platform-settings.json was in the correct location, all users had all permissions for read/write for all folders in my root directory (and I made sure that they also did in Tomcat and ThingworxPlatform folders), and the tablespace had about 53 tables, as was indicated.

posipova
20-Turquoise

What is your postgresql version? I see you were following the guide from 8.0 but your Thingworx platform is 7.3.4 - you don't need a license for that.

Ensure your thingworxpostgresqlstorage folder has Full Control permissions set on All Users (Everyone). Could you please attach your platform-settings.json as well?

Here are the files for the catalina and the platform-settings. Note that for the actual platform-settings, I have replaced "password" with my organization's intranet password, which I have struck for privacy reasons.

I am using postgresql 9.6, which is the most recent.

posipova
20-Turquoise

Currently we only support the highest minor version of 9.4, which is 9.4.11 I believe. Please downgrade your Postgresql and see if the problem persists.

Thank you so much! This solved all of the problems.

posipova
20-Turquoise

Awesome! let us know if any further assistance is required, we'll be happy to help.

CRArko
17-Peridot

Hi Jonathan.

Can you connect directly to Tomcat? Instead of 'http://<servername>/Thingworx' just try 'http://<servername>'.

You should see a Tomcat basic page. This assumes you've configured Tomcat to operate on port 80, and not 8080, for example. Then we can rule out a Tomcat configuration issue.

Let us know what you see.

-- Craig A.

jgrey1
1-Newbie
(To:CRArko)

I did configure Tomcat to port 80, but navigating directly to Tomcat provided the same error. (I confirmed by also checking 8080 and 8443).

However, as I mentioned, I was on occasion able to acquire a 401 error. Would this suggest that Tomcat is set up correctly?

Although this only happened once or twice.

posipova
20-Turquoise

Please provide the application log and catalina.out log (found in tomcat install location/logs).

Is the tomcat service actually running?

Top Tags