cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Upgrade Thingworx license 7.4 to 8.4

clansdale
11-Garnet

Upgrade Thingworx license 7.4 to 8.4

Hello,

I have a server running Thingworx 7.4 and I would like to migrate to a new server that runs 8.4. Do I need a separate license to do this? Or can I transfer the old license when I move the data.

Thank you

Connor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes you need a new license.

The 7.4 uses a default license that comes along with the installation package, while after 8.1, all TWX license are retrieved online.

After you installed TWX 8.4, you will get a licenserequest file in the ThingWorx Platform folder, you will find your device ID in it, go to article for details.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS271439&posno=1&q=licensing%20thingworx&source=search

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Yes you need a new license.

The 7.4 uses a default license that comes along with the installation package, while after 8.1, all TWX license are retrieved online.

After you installed TWX 8.4, you will get a licenserequest file in the ThingWorx Platform folder, you will find your device ID in it, go to article for details.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS271439&posno=1&q=licensing%20thingworx&source=search

Okay, thank you for the reply. When I receive the license file in the new instance, how do I go about removing the old license (from the instance running 7.4)? I don't want to be using two licenses at the same time.

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:clansdale)

Hi @clansdale.

No need to remove the license from 7.4.  I assume at some point you'll be decommissioning that instance, correct?

Regards.

--Sharon

Yes, as soon as I get the new instance up and running.

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:slangley)

Hi @clansdale.

There's nothing you have to worry about removing  when it comes to the license.  I would recommend, however, that you retain the original instance for long enough to validate that everything is working as expected on the upgraded instance.

Regards.

-Sharon

Top Tags