cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Upgrading/Migrating ThingWorx Platform and Database Concerns

Ascherer17
14-Alexandrite

Upgrading/Migrating ThingWorx Platform and Database Concerns

We are working on upgrading our Thingworx platform from version 8.4.0 to version 9.1.2.  As part of this change we are also switching databases from PostgreSQL version 10.6 (TW8.4) to MSSQL 2016 (TW9.1).  We also have the ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps.  

Since we've collected a lot of data, I'm trying to identify the best way to migrate both our Assets model and data.  However, some of our searches turned up concerns in migrating from a PostgreSQL implementation to MSSQL.

Particularly these articles (which apply to TW8.4) are of concern: 

CS305602 - Is it possible to migrate from H2 or PostgreSQL to MS SQL in ThingWorx? 

CS303818 - Migration from other databases to MSSQL is not supported in ThingWorx 

Based on these articles, it sounds like the values in the "entity_id" and "source_id" columns of our current "value_stream" and "stream" tables must not exceed 128 characters.

Could we get a confirmation on this?  Are there any other considerations we need to make in migrating our model/data as I described?

2 REPLIES 2
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:Ascherer17)

As the articles indicate, as far as I know there isn't a 'clean' migration possible from Postgres to MS SQL

Although not the prettiest, you could park all your historical data in your own database and use a connector to retrieve that data if you needed it (historical query etc.)

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:Ascherer17)

Hi @Ascherer17.

If you feel the previous response answered your question, please mark it as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags