cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Which installation option is recommended by ptc for ThingWorx 9.3?

ED_10473702
3-Visitor

Which installation option is recommended by ptc for ThingWorx 9.3?

Hello,

I have recently installed thingworx 9.3 using installer . I want to know which option is recommended for installation manual or installer one? Does it make any difference if I choose between both of them?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @ED_10473702 , 

Thingworx Foundation comes along with an installer exe file, You need to run the exe file  which in turn auto-creates DB tables etc.  and the only Pre-Requiste here is that you have to set Java environment variables.

On the other hand, when you setup Thingworx using Platform ( a war file) then apart from setting Java environment variables you also need to setup and configure tomcat, make changes in platform-settings.json file, run database scripts etc. In conclusion, Thingworx Foundation installer does most of the job which you would have to perform manually if you setup Thingworx using Platform.

Also, ThingWorx wont be different in any of the installation method (in terms of Performance and Functionality).

For more detailed info, you can refer this help center guide to install the ThingWorx Foundation.

Let me know if this info helps.

Regards

Bhawna

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hello @ED_10473702 , 

Thingworx Foundation comes along with an installer exe file, You need to run the exe file  which in turn auto-creates DB tables etc.  and the only Pre-Requiste here is that you have to set Java environment variables.

On the other hand, when you setup Thingworx using Platform ( a war file) then apart from setting Java environment variables you also need to setup and configure tomcat, make changes in platform-settings.json file, run database scripts etc. In conclusion, Thingworx Foundation installer does most of the job which you would have to perform manually if you setup Thingworx using Platform.

Also, ThingWorx wont be different in any of the installation method (in terms of Performance and Functionality).

For more detailed info, you can refer this help center guide to install the ThingWorx Foundation.

Let me know if this info helps.

Regards

Bhawna

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:ED_10473702)

Hi @ED_10473702 

The installer option is recommended.  We currently have at least one product (ThingWorx Navigate) that requires use of the ThingWorx installer to set up the environment for that product to be installed.  This may become more of the norm with other products in the future.

Also, in regard to upgrades, the installer option includes upgrades for Tomcat eliminating the need to manually upgrade it.

Regards.

--Sharon

Announcements

Top Tags