cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Why use Edge Micro Server and not Kepware with OPC UA

JelleB
5-Regular Member

Why use Edge Micro Server and not Kepware with OPC UA

Hello everyone

I have made a connexion between my Raspberry Pi with sensor to the ThingWorx platform via the Edge Micro Server via a tutorial on the ThingWorx development portal. I saw also that there is an industrial standard with OPC UA and Kepware. Now i have a few questions about it:

- Why does the tutorial don't use the industrial standard? I read somewhere it is maybe because of the cycling rate but i am not shure. Where can i find information around this subject to substantiate my topic.

- Can we relate the industrial standard with OPC UA and Kepware to the OSI model with OPC UA in the application layer (layer 7) and Kepware in the transport layer (layer 4)?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Jelle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
abjain
13-Aquamarine
(To:JelleB)

@JelleB There are different ways to connect Thingworx platform with remote devices like edge sdks, ems ,kepware etc. Usually EMS and edge sdks have small footprint and installed at the remote device itself. Kepware is basically used in case of industrial scenarios which is used to connect different industrial devices and software applications through one user interface and is generally installed on a separate machine. This tutorial might be just for demonstration purpose of connecting raspberry pi using EMS with thingworx since its more convenient in this scenario. However, if you want, you can also connect your Kepware to raspberry pi . More information on connectivity methods you can find on our help center and also on following developer portal tutorial here: https://developer.thingworx.com/en/resources/guides/choosing-connectivity-method

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
abjain
13-Aquamarine
(To:JelleB)

@JelleB There are different ways to connect Thingworx platform with remote devices like edge sdks, ems ,kepware etc. Usually EMS and edge sdks have small footprint and installed at the remote device itself. Kepware is basically used in case of industrial scenarios which is used to connect different industrial devices and software applications through one user interface and is generally installed on a separate machine. This tutorial might be just for demonstration purpose of connecting raspberry pi using EMS with thingworx since its more convenient in this scenario. However, if you want, you can also connect your Kepware to raspberry pi . More information on connectivity methods you can find on our help center and also on following developer portal tutorial here: https://developer.thingworx.com/en/resources/guides/choosing-connectivity-method

Top Tags