cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

[backup storage] How to recover a thing

Clement_D
9-Granite

[backup storage] How to recover a thing

Hello,

I had some issue with my thingworx server so i decided to uninstalled it and redo an installation.

I have to start my project from scratch and I was wondering if there is a way with the backup storage to recover a part of my project like mashup, service and things ?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:slangley)

Hi @Clement_D.

Here is an article to assist with your H2 database restore.  It's recommended that you back up all existing artifacts for later recovery, if needed, before beginning this procedure.  Also note, that since you reinstalled ThingWorx, by restoring the database you may be reverting to the issues you previously encountered which led to the reinstallation.  Reinstalling ThingWorx would have also resulted in a new Device ID, so you may encounter new issues following the recovery.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:Clement_D)

Hi @Clement_D.

Are you referring to the contents of the \ThingworxBackupStorage folder?  If so, this folder is only used in H2 implementations.  Are you running H2?  Does this folder contain any files?

If it does, you may be able to recover your entities but I would need to research/test the procedure.

For future reference, you can export your entities by selecting the Import/Export option in ThingWorx.  It's also recommended that you generate regular backups.  Please refer to the following sources for more information:

Importing and Exporting Data, Entities, and Extensions

How to Import/Export Entities and Data in ThingWorx

ThingWorx PostgreSQL: Best practices of Backup and Restore of the platform

ThingWorx Backup and Recovery YouTube Video

Regards.

--Sharon

I was using H2 a bit. The files is 220 Mb so I thought that all my thing and services were register there.

I never made export even if I know could.
I thought my works was save somewhere under a thingworx folder.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Clement_D.

It's recommended that backups be generated on a regular basis, as there are any number of things that could occur outside of PTC/ThingWorx control.  Here are just a few:

• Hard drive failure
  • Inadvertent deletion by user
  • Inadvertent changes resulting in the app failing
  • Theft of your hardware

Another option for recovery if you're running on a VM would be to restore a recent snapshot.  If this doesn't apply to you, please let me know and I will research the possibility of recovering from your H2 backup.

Regards.

--Sharon

I am not using a VM machine.
I have only my H2 backup which i was hoping to contains services and things.

Thank you for your advice, I was a little careless by thinking everything was save in my hardware.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Clement_D.

Here is an article to assist with your H2 database restore.  It's recommended that you back up all existing artifacts for later recovery, if needed, before beginning this procedure.  Also note, that since you reinstalled ThingWorx, by restoring the database you may be reverting to the issues you previously encountered which led to the reinstallation.  Reinstalling ThingWorx would have also resulted in a new Device ID, so you may encounter new issues following the recovery.

Regards.

--Sharon

Thank you for your help.

I was wondering what can cause a id change and you just answer that.
I will wait monday to retry a restoration, my week-end will help me in order to keep my calm.
You are right to warn me about the risk to recreate the issue.

Top Tags