cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

how to deselect the selected row of grid on button click?

OldGoat
12-Amethyst

how to deselect the selected row of grid on button click?

What's needed on the Advanced Grid is someone at PTC to RECODE the "RESET" attribute.  I expect RESET to "reset" the grid back to its original DEFAULT state.  That is, after all, what the word RESET means!

[RESET(Verb) - To set back to the initial state.]

If it had no rows selected when you first arrived at the grid, then triggering the RESET feature "SHOULD" return it to the initial state.  If one or more rows are selected by default, then the grid should return to THAT state instead.  It makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever that you don't have this feature built into the grid in the first place!   AND...that feature should be very intuitive to find and use. You have it on other widgets...why not the grid? The only way to clear a selected row is to refresh the browser.  And that is unsatisfactory.  Forcing someone to set up and/or use a filter service just so they can clear a selected row is also just plain silly, especially when you are already providing the proper attribute...it just doesn't work as expected.

Related topic

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OldGoat
12-Amethyst
(To:sjoyce)

SJoyce,

Thank you for asking.  We have migrated to 9.3.8b and connecting a button to the "Reset" property of a grid clears any selections as expected.  This issue is resolved.  Unfortunately, I have a LOT of new issues that will get reported when (if) I can catch a break in OPSTEMPO!

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
cbaldwin
13-Aquamarine
(To:OldGoat)

I have asked our engineering team.  They are saying that if you want to deselect a row on the Advanced Grid, hold ctrl + click on the row. The Reset button does not clear the selection, yes.  The reset button resets any column configurations (e.g. showing/ hiding, moving them around, sorting etc).

Does this help?

OldGoat
12-Amethyst
(To:cbaldwin)

So when one of my users refreshes the data on their screen, and the selected row will not clear, then you want me to tell them to do all these extra steps when it SHOULD refresh the grid programmatically?  That makes zero sense to me as a web application programmer.  And it certainly makes no sense for me to have to tell my users to do this in order to set the screen back to its initial condition.  I don't accept this as a viable answer...sorry.

cbaldwin
13-Aquamarine

OldGoat, I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing.  This likely can't be debugged via Community post.  I will have a member of our support team reach out to troubleshoot on a meeting looking at the code together.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @OldGoat.

I will be happy to open a case on your behalf if you would like to proceed down that path.  Please let me know how we can help.

Regards.

--Sharon

OldGoat
12-Amethyst
(To:slangley)

To slangley:

CBaldwin has offered to contact me to view my screen (assuming via TEAMS).  I am waiting for him to set a meeting so we can do this.  Until I get this resolved, I cannot set any of the responses as a "solution", because nothing has been solved.  After I find out what the solution is, I will post the solution for everyone.  Thank you.

cbaldwin
13-Aquamarine

OldGoat,

You are correct, my recommendation is to triage and address this issue with a member of our support team.  The way we will do this is through a support ticket, so Sharon's offer is how we will get this started.  From there the support team will setup time to meet with you.

Thanks,

Chris

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:cbaldwin)

Hi @OldGoat 

I have created the support case.  You should be receiving an email shortly with the case number.

Regards.

--Sharon

Hello @slangley , @OldGoat , @cbaldwin 

Found a workaround which may allows removing the selected row. 

In the Grid Advanced Widget set the "DefaultSelectedRows" to number of rows in table plus 1.

In my testing it this addressed the issue.

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:PEHOWE)

Hi @OldGoat 

If the workaround is working to your satisfaction, please mark the previous post as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same issue.

Thanks.

--Sharon

OldGoat
12-Amethyst

A workaround is only temporary; A temporary workaround is not a solution.  No, it is not satisfactory.  The RESET property on the grid says very clearly that it can "trigger Grid Advanced widget to reset".  Now, I don't know what that means to anyone else, but to me, that means if I bind something to this, it will reset my grid back to its initial state.  If I had no rows selected, that is my initial state.  If I had row 36 selected, that is its original state.  The RESET property does NOT do what it suggests it does.

Is the temporary workaround usable?  I don't know, I'm sure it will...I just haven't had time to try yet, because I am working.  I will try the temporary workaround, but I want PTC to permanently and correctly fix it (either fix the RESET property to do what it suggests that it does or rename it to say what it does, and then add a ResetToDefaultValue or ResetToNoRowsSelected property), make it intuitive, and clearly document it.  Then, and only then, would I consider it to be a satisfactory and permanent "SOLUTION".  When they have added a property to the grids that can be triggered with a database/javascript service "ServiceInvokeCompleted" or a button click event, and it is clearly documented in your online documentation, then it is fixed.  Even mashups and other widgets have a triggered "ResetToDefaultValue" property, and the advanced grid needs it, as well.  That is what I would consider a viable and permanent solution.  If I accept this temporary workaround as a solution, then PTC will never fix it properly.  They will simply forget about this, and the developers will have to forever search the online forums to find this obscure temporary workaround.  If you were to tell me that the PTC developers WILL DEFINITELY fix this, I would accept that as a solution so long as it points to the TEMPORARY workaround to get developers by until they do fix it.  My customers wouldn't accept a temporary workaround as a permanent solution...and I don't, either.  

OldGoat
12-Amethyst
(To:PEHOWE)

Thank you PEHOWE...much appreciated.  I will give it a try when I get the time to try it out.  I would hope, however, that the PTC developers will create a permanent fix to this...  The "Reset" property on the grid does NOT reset as it advertises. (see image).  It needs to work, or it needs to be renamed, and a correctly operating Reset property needs to be added.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @OldGoat.

The fix for this issue is now available in ThingWorx 9.3 which was released last week.

Regards.

--Sharon

OldGoat
12-Amethyst

Thank you for the notice of the fix.  We will be migrated to version 9.3 on our Development server sometime near the end of this month.  Once we have it in place, I will test the fix and let you know how it goes.  If it works, I will click the "Accept as Solution".

Best Regards,

Old Goat

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @OldGoat.

Just wondering how your testing is going.  Did you find that the issue is resolved in 9.3?

Regards.

--Sharon

OldGoat
12-Amethyst

Sharon,

We have not yet migrated to version 9.3.  We are looking forward to the upgrade as we are hoping it will fix a lot of other problems we are having in addition to this one.  

slangley
23-Emerald II

Thanks for your update, @OldGoat.

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @OldGoat.

Have you upgraded to 9.3 yet?  9.3.1 was just released, so if not, you'll want to check it out.

Regards.

--Sharon

OldGoat
12-Amethyst

Sharon,

No, we still haven't upgraded to 9.3.x...we still have a lot of applications to get migrated off the old widgets, and many of the new widgets simply do not work the way we need them to, so we are having to invent ways to "fix" them with custom CSS and other means.  Plus no one is responding to our please for assistance for the date/time problem.  We have a major customer who is about ready to drop ThingWorx completely over that issue.  If they drop us, we lose a big contract, plus additional referred work from them.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @OldGoat.

Some improvements were made to widgets in 9.3.1.  Here's a link to the release notes so you can check them out.

In regard to the date/time problem, can you private message me your case number?  I would like to follow up on the status.

Regards.

--Sharon

sjoyce
8-Gravel

Hi @OldGoat.

Just wondering how your testing is going.  Did you find that the issue is resolved in 9.3?

Regards.

--Sam

OldGoat
12-Amethyst
(To:sjoyce)

SJoyce,

Thank you for asking.  We have migrated to 9.3.8b and connecting a button to the "Reset" property of a grid clears any selections as expected.  This issue is resolved.  Unfortunately, I have a LOT of new issues that will get reported when (if) I can catch a break in OPSTEMPO!

Top Tags