cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

upgrading thingworx from 7.2 to 8.1 on windows platform(64 bit) : license is not getting installed

pranavkapadia
6-Contributor

upgrading thingworx from 7.2 to 8.1 on windows platform(64 bit) : license is not getting installed

Hi ,

i am new to the Thingworx and i am trying upgrading my Thingworx from 7.2 to 8.1 version in win7 VM machine . i have downloaded a licence file for same, renamed it as license_capability_response.bin and placed it inside ThingworxPlatform folder ( which i have created in c drive as per the instruction given in upgradation manual ) then trying installing it but the license is not getting installed not even the file name is getting changed to successful_license_capability_response.bin/ignored_license.bin rather giving me below error .

2018-10-03 00:03:54.814-0700 [L: INFO] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxServer] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: localhost-startStop-1] Thingworx Server Application...ON
2018-10-03 00:03:54.828-0700 [L: INFO] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxBootstrapper] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: localhost-startStop-1] Datastore database...INITIALIZED
2018-10-03 00:06:14.417-0700 [L: WARN] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingStateMachine] [I: ] [U: Richa] [S: ] [T: http-nio-80-exec-4] Failed downloading license_capability_response.bin from FNO server. This will be expected if the ThingWorx Platform is running in disconnected mode.
2018-10-03 00:06:14.417-0700 [L: WARN] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingStateMachine] [I: ] [U: Richa] [S: ] [T: http-nio-80-exec-4] No license changes, because neither license.bin or license_capability_response.bin could be found
2018-10-03 00:06:14.417-0700 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.w.BaseService] [I: ] [U: Richa] [S: ] [T: http-nio-80-exec-4] [context: com.thingworx.webservices.context.HttpExecutionContext@1e37520a][message: Unable to acquire license. Please see log for errors]
2018-10-03 00:06:26.840-0700 [L: WARN] [O: c.t.s.s.l.LicensingStateMachine] [I: ] [U: Richa] [S: ] [T: http-nio-80-exec-5] Failed downloading license_capability_response.bin from FNO server. This will be expected if the ThingWorx Platform is running in disconnected mode.

-As per my findings Usually when we start the server, the application search for the license file. If it does not find the license file then it generates a new device id. If the license file is there, it will not generate the new device id.GetInstanceId service returning same id all the time
-GetLicenseState service returning UNINTIALIZED

below are the contents in my Platform_setting.json file
{
"PlatformSettingsConfig": {
"AdministratorUserSettings": {
"InitialPassword": "trUf6yuz2?_Gub"
}
},
"PersistenceProviderPackageConfigs": {
"PostgresPersistenceProviderPackage": {
"ConnectionInformation": {
"jdbcUrl": "jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/thingworx",
"password": "twadmin",
"username": "twadmin"
}
}
}
}
Also the device id i didn't get in my ThingworxPlatform folder and i get it by invoking the service getinstanceId for downloading the license
it seems some problem with the ThingworxPlatform folder , i checked for all the folder permissions also and it is having all the permissions , still the issue persist  

please help me in this!

Thanks
Pranav Kapadia 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Greetings @pranavkapadia.

You mentioned you were upgrading but also indicated you created the C:\ThingworxPlatform folder.  This folder should have already existed, which leads me to believe that you have an environment variable designating a different folder.

From a command prompt, you can run the following command to see if an environment variable exists for THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS:

set {enter}

If you find such a setting, that is the folder in which the license file should be placed.  It's also the folder in which licenseRequestFile.txt will be created.

Regards.

--Sharon

If my response has answered your question, please mark as Accepted Solution, for the benefit of others who may have the same question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Greetings @pranavkapadia.

You mentioned you were upgrading but also indicated you created the C:\ThingworxPlatform folder.  This folder should have already existed, which leads me to believe that you have an environment variable designating a different folder.

From a command prompt, you can run the following command to see if an environment variable exists for THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS:

set {enter}

If you find such a setting, that is the folder in which the license file should be placed.  It's also the folder in which licenseRequestFile.txt will be created.

Regards.

--Sharon

If my response has answered your question, please mark as Accepted Solution, for the benefit of others who may have the same question.

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for helping on the issue.
License got installed

Regards,
Pranav Kapadia

@pranavkapadia.

That's awesome!  Glad I could help.

--Sharon

Top Tags