cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

virtual thing doubts

nbhagtani
2-Guest

virtual thing doubts

I have got some doubts related to virtual things:

1)If I have got 10 assets so 10 local things I need to create on platform then each local thing will be bound to one remote thing?

2)Also each(10) remote things will be bound to single virtual thing instance?

So if I have 10 assets then I need to make 10 virtual things or 10 instances of single virtual thing on edge (provided properties everything are similar)?

5 REPLIES 5
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:nbhagtani)

Sounds like you are saying that at the Edge where your actual assets are, you might have a 10 'gateways' that each themselves are connected to 10 devices?

I would recommend that for any asset at the Edge that you are interested in connecting and monitoring you represent that as a 'virtual thing' at the Edge and create a matching RemoteThing in the Thingworx platform.

If everything at the edge is homogeneous then you would have one ThingTemplate if they aren't then as many as needed to capture those differences.

yes i have got 10 devices(each device will have 5 properties like temperature, humidity, etc) so to connect each device to platform Thing i need to specific virtual thing for that device? That way i will have to create 10 virtual things so in future more number of devices i need to add then i need to create virtual thing on edge and remote, local things on platform?

For now all devices have same properties.

supandey
19-Tanzanite

Hi Nisha, if all of those devices have same properties you could create a template e.g. MyCustomRemoteThing Template which will inherit RemoteThing template add all the required properties to MyCustomRemoteThing template now you can instantiate n number of Things out of that Template.

This way all your 10 devices will bind to corresponding Things you'll instantiatedout of MyCustomRemoteThing Template.

Hope this helps.

On platform side i will create MyCustomRemoteThing template so 10 remote things will implement this template right?

Also on edge how many virtual things i need to create? 1 virtual thing having 10 instances or 10 virtual things?

supandey
19-Tanzanite

Yes you've got that right for the first question.

For your second part of the question I think Pai Chung has said it quite nicely i.e.

"I would recommend that for any asset at the Edge that you are interested in connecting and monitoring you represent that as a 'virtual thing' at the Edge and create a matching RemoteThing in the Thingworx platform.

If everything at the edge is homogeneous then you would have one ThingTemplate if they aren't then as many as needed to capture those differences."

Top Tags