cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Air Flow Simulation in Hololens

SN_9848698
6-Contributor

Air Flow Simulation in Hololens

Hi,

I need to simulate airflow in HoloLens. Though I used shaders with previous reference, it works well in mobile but not in HoloLens. Kindly provide any solution to simulate airflow using TML shaders or any extensions like directional flow will be great help.

3 REPLIES 3

you can use the same model on hololens, using shaders.  the shader syntax is slightly different. Use HLSL instead of GLSL.

Everything else should be the same i.e how you aply shaders how your model works etc..  

there is an example in the OCTO effects extensions widget library that shows how to visualize "flow".  The shader is wrapped up inside the widget to make it easier to use (so that you dont have to understand shader languages)

That might be the best place to start, look at how to apply that widget. You will need a 3d model with texture coordinates assigned e.g. a pipe to show water flowing etc.

Hi @SN_9848698,

your mentioned that you have already an implementation for a shader which was already working on mobile device in Studio , right ? - so it is implemented already in a TML text widget?

The format for the shader implementation  is in glsl and work in preview and on mobile devices . This will not work on the hololens .So you need first to convert this shader from GLSL to HLSL(*) (  supported on the HoloLens) and check it work with reasonable quality on the hololens. Then you need in you code a check if you are in preview, android or IOS device /mode to use the old glsl shader implementation or else to use HLSL shader for the HoloLens

(*)-The High-Level Shader Language or High-Level Shading Language (HLSL) is a proprietary shading language developed by Microsoft for the Direct3D 9 API to augment the shader assembly language, and went on to become the required shading language for the unified shader model of Direct3D 10 and higher. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Level_Shader_Language 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/direct3dhlsl/hlsl-shader-model-6-0-features-for-direct3d-12

I seems that I  did overlooked that my post   was already answered in the first sentence in the  post by @SteveGhee  so possibly this post was  redundant to it .

Top Tags