cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

External editing for '2D Overlay'

venkatraj
12-Amethyst

External editing for '2D Overlay'

Hi,

Is it possible to edit/modify the 2D overlay/UI in studio using any IDE. I have developed a web page for my company to view a product in 3D using x3dom. I'm trying to do the same in vuforia studio. I'm finding it very diffcult to create the UI using the given widgets. For example: In my webpage, I used an inline .svg format of attached image in html and added a event listener to an element inside the svg, which allows to click only the white arrows to trigger the event. I'm trying the same in vuforia studio. Is it possible.

Picture1.png

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes. there I mention a possible way , I did not suggest it as  solution. Because it is more work intensive, and it works only for 3d views.

So let us consider the following scenario. Let suppose we have a laptop assembly where the keyboard consist of separate parts the key’s. In this case you can define e.g. for the key 'A' a modelitem where if you click it a corresponding (for the event A was clicked) function will fire. It is possible that when you click the button it will move in the push direction and will move back after some interval of time.  All of this is possible but requires more or less (rather  MORE)   additional programming work (javaScript).

2019-03-18_19-14-26.gif

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @venkatraj,

I do not think that this is possible using some external tools

Currently what you can do in vuforia studio

a.) to detect which widget was clicked - this will emit the click event for this widget 

so mean this could be buttons , different 2d or 3d widget (labels, images).

So here one possible thing is to have 3d model which could be actually the UI ( so with different components which could be a 3d buttons , arrows  etc. ). So the when you click a specific component there the corresponding event will be fired.

b.) you get get the click coordinate on the panel device - some thing like;:

///click event
  document.addEventListener('click', function(event) {console.log("click() 1 called");
  $scope.lastClick = {
    x: event.pageX, y: event.pageY};
     console.log("click, event.pageX="+ event.pageX+" event.pageY="+event.pageY)  
     console.warn("target=" +event.target.nodeName+ " targ_x="+ event.target.x+" targ_y="+ event.target.y +
                              " height="+ event.target.naturalHeight+ " width="+event.target.naturalWidth);
       });

2019-03-18_17-00-25.gif

So in this event you have the global click coordinate and the position and the height and the width of the clicked element (here image ) . Theoretically it is possible that if you have your own map you can evaluate it inside the click event to start the correct action.

I understood your point b. Please let me know if I correctly understood point a. You are saying to create a 3D model of the image I attached in which the arrows will be different components to which I have to add the event listener and this model will be added in 3D container not in 2d overlay. 

Yes. there I mention a possible way , I did not suggest it as  solution. Because it is more work intensive, and it works only for 3d views.

So let us consider the following scenario. Let suppose we have a laptop assembly where the keyboard consist of separate parts the key’s. In this case you can define e.g. for the key 'A' a modelitem where if you click it a corresponding (for the event A was clicked) function will fire. It is possible that when you click the button it will move in the push direction and will move back after some interval of time.  All of this is possible but requires more or less (rather  MORE)   additional programming work (javaScript).

2019-03-18_19-14-26.gif

I understood. This is will be very work intensive option in my case. I don't have ready 3d model for my images. Modelling it will be a very tedious work as the images are not as simple as the one I attached in this thread. I will have to try option b.

Thanks a lot !!! 

Top Tags