cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Grouping of 3D Widgets or Hierarchical Structures for Hololens

DavidW_AR
5-Regular Member

Grouping of 3D Widgets or Hierarchical Structures for Hololens

My team is developing a Hololens AR experience that will be overlaying virtual models over a very large object. We want to have an easily repositionable UI so the user will be able to access critical information displayed on the 3D menu from any area around the object. A feature that would help in developing this would be the ability to have a built-in grouping or hierarchy feature for Widgets in the View so multiple Widgets could share a common pivot and javascript could be used to control the position and rotation on all of the widgets at once. This is possible with the 2D Layout in Mobile projects but doesn't appear to be possible in the 3D Eyewear project. Has anyone been able to implement this kind of feature in a Studio project for the Hololens?

I've inserted this diagram to better explain what we are trying to accomplish.

Diagram.png

1 REPLY 1
jmikesell
15-Moonstone
(To:DavidW_AR)

I'm not sure there is a way to do this stock in Studio, but it would be a nice feature.

If you can find anything else you could try tackling it in JS, I think it's going to require Euler angles and rotation matrices. All my searches for a JS library to do this end up at three.js which is about 99% more than you need for this, maybe you can figure out how to just use the matricxrotation bits.

Top Tags