cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How to binding 3d model on ground plane?(Spatial Target)

GB_10079075
4-Participant

How to binding 3d model on ground plane?(Spatial Target)

After analyzing methodologies by writing code, I was able to realize that it is not possible in vuforia studio to anchor the 3D model in a point, possibly in the most external point of the model.

This would allow me, using the spatial target, to constrain the 3d model correctly to the ground plane.

For example a collider would be needed to be able to consider the ground as a limit that cannot be exceeded by the 3d model in the horizontal plane (tangent) of the chosen point

is there an integration to have this function? or is there a workaround?

Thank you.

Gabriele

2 REPLIES 2

Hello @GB_10079075 ,

To request this functionality, please refer to Product Ideas @ PTC Community

The basic step to place a "3D Model" automatically on the real ground is-

1. In Vuforia Studio, on the virtual floor at Y located at 0
  2. Add a 3D Model
  3. Move the 3D Model to have the bottom.

Hi @GB_10079075 ,

if I understand correctly your intent, you want to use the spatial target to find some coordinate on the ground plate. I do not think that this will work. So using a target and setting it there will initialize you coordinate system -World coordinate system. The point what you select with the spatial target will have Y=0 and the X= (-<spacialTargetWidgget>.X)    Y=  (-<spacialTargetWidgget>.Y)  as world coordinate system. 

Possibly your approach should be to select a thingmark on the plate and this will initlize your coordinate system correctly (so the root coordinate system is inverse transformation to the setting of the thingmark properties (x,y,z,rx,ry,rz) - the simplest case all thingmark properties are 0 and also the thingmark width is exactly the same size as the reals scanned thingmark - otherwise you will some scaling factor. In this case the thinmark will represent the world coordinate system

Then you can use the eye vector to find the intersection with the x,z plane (or shifted plane) /requires some math /intersection vector with plane/ 

I did a similar thing in the project there (attached) where in a HoloLens project I projected a eyevector to the plane of an image (which displays a table) and tried to decide which cell was selected (via gaze) this much more complex requirements as in your case - therefore possibly this could be helpful for you. Here as some related links  (means not directly to your issue but showing how to handle coordinates)

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Vuforia-Studio/Can-i-get-the-coordinate-of-tracked-target/m-p/951695

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Vuforia-Studio/How-to-Click-on-a-Model-Located-at-a-Distant-Position-in/m-p/884013

Top Tags