cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

How to drag model item with JS in an experience?

Burhanuddin
5-Regular Member

How to drag model item with JS in an experience?

I want to drag model item by touch gesture with JS.

11 REPLIES 11
lgherman
13-Aquamarine
(To:Burhanuddin)

Hello  Burhanuddin,

What is the use case you are trying to achieve? Could you please elaborate on that?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Lorena Gherman

Burhanuddin
5-Regular Member
(To:lgherman)

The use case i am trying to achieve is that to Disassemble a model with dragging out the model item in any direction  with touch gesture in an experience .

Thank you

Burhanuddin

Hi,
i have the same problem, have you found a solution?

lgherman
13-Aquamarine
(To:mvavassori)

Hello Burhanuddin, mvavassori,

You can achieve this behavior by using touch events such as touchend (http://www.javascriptkit.com/javatutors/touchevents.shtml)

document.body.addEventListener('touchend', function(e) {
	/* Move the model item */   	
    }, false) 

In order to move the model item you can either:

1) start an (pre-defined) animation of the model in which the model item is being dragged outside the model

or

2) move the model item programmatically by changing the x,y,z coordinates accordingly to the desired result.

Next, just add in the Javascript box of each model item a function call that sets what animation needs to start (or what model item to move).

modelItemMove.PNG

Kind regards,

Lorena

Burhanuddin
5-Regular Member

Hello Lorena

I have tried out the js which you have given, but i can't move the model item. Can you please send me a zip file on any model by applying this js.

Thank you,

Burhanuddin

lgherman
13-Aquamarine

Hello Burhanuddin,

Let's say that the model has 2 model items named 'modelItem-1' and 'modelItem-2'. You can add an application parameter (named 'selectedModelItem', for example) that will monitor which modelItem is currently selected and needs to be moved. Next, on the javascript box of the Click event of each model item, you need to set the selectedModelItem parameter to the appropriate value (1 for modelItem-1 and 2 for modelItem-2). This way, the user first needs to click on the model item he/she wants to drag.

AppParam.PNG

ModelItemClick.PNG

Next, while the user is touching the screen (touchmove), you need to move the model item that was selected like in the code shown below. You can do that by increasing/decreasing his x, y and/or z values. When the user stops (touchend), the selectedModelItem parameter needs to be reset.

$scope.Init = function() {

document.body.addEventListener('touchend', function(e) {
    	/* Reset the selectedModelItem */
		$scope.app.params.selectedModelItem = 0;

}, false);

document.body.addEventListener('touchmove', function(e) {

switch($scope.app.params.selectedModelItem) {
      		case 1:
            	/* Move the first model item */
            	$scope.view.wdg['modelItem-1'].x -= 0.01;
            	$scope.view.wdg['modelItem-1'].y += 0.01;
        		break;
      		case 2:
            	/* Move the second model item */
        		$scope.view.wdg['modelItem-2'].x -= 0.01;
        		$scope.view.wdg['modelItem-2'].y += 0.01;
        		break;
      		default:
       			break;
    	}
  }, false);
}

angular.element(document).ready(function () {
	$scope.Init();
});

Kind regards,

Lorena

Burhanuddin
5-Regular Member

Hello Lorena,

In the above solution which of the selected binding target had given to the selectedModelItem .

Thank you 

Burhanuddin

lgherman
13-Aquamarine

Hello Burhanuddin,

In the example I gave, there is no need to bind the selectedModelItem parameter with anything. Did this answear your question? If not, could you please rephrase it?

Kind regards,

Lorena Gherman

You are just moving a little bit the model item when touching it, it will be more easy to simply move on click model item. The expected workaround is "CLICK AND DRAG" this is not the solution, i don't think it is even possible in vuforia studio.

Click and drag would be nice, but I think we do not have access to the fingermovement. But instead you could use the gaze direction: 

Clicking on part makes it floating in front of your gaze. A voice command makes it stay, where you are currnently looking at. Maybe this will help you:

How can we make a 3D Widget on HoloLens visible i... - PTC Community

For Eyewear device (HoloLens) a possible option is to click the model / userpick event  and this will start the drag process or you can userpick to select a component and then with voice command to start the drag process. The drag process is actually  -you will pin the modelItem on the eye vector. Means the modelItem will remain always  the same distance from eywear device to modelItem and you will be able to  move the object when move and rotate the device. You can use some voice commands to place the object. I think this will also works for  mobile devices (instead of voice command some 2d button UI could be used). 

Another more controlled translation could be implemented  for modelItem widgest when you select a modelItem and then start  to move it via some sliders (mobile) or buttons and value (every click is moving delta in specific direction  or rotation about axis). In this case you need for each axis an explicit input value for the delta value and a button . A click on this button will do something like :

$scope.setWidgetProp(wdgName,'z',$scope.view.wdg[wdgName]['z']- delta);

here e.g. moving of modelItem delta in - z direction.  

Similar techniques is described in the post mentioned by @whity   ->How can we make a 3D Widget on HoloLens visible i... - PTC Community

Top Tags