cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

When To Use QR-Code vs. Thingmark

BenAtLmco
12-Amethyst

When To Use QR-Code vs. Thingmark

Hello!  I had a question about when it is appropriate to use a Thingmark vs a QR-code to load an experience.  Is it best practice to use one over the other in certain circumstances?  Are they both equivalent?

My rough understanding is that Thingmarks are good for experiences that will also be using a Thingmark for tracking, but that QR codes may be a better solution for experiences that use model targets.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of using either method from your perspective?

There's been some disagreement on my team about which method is best under which circumstances, so we wanted to ask the experts!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sdidier
17-Peridot
(To:BenAtLmco)

Hello BenAtLmco,

QR Code is unique to an Experience. I would mean by unique a same Experience published in various Vuforia Experience Service will have different QR Code

A ThingMark can be linked to open various Experiences or to in various Views to place 3D Model.

Be carreful, a ThingMarks has this filename format and code inside it Domain-ID:ThingMark ID.

So, a ThingMark is linked to a specific Vuforia Experience Service environment.

At the end, a QR Code and a ThingMark are linked to a Vuforia Experience Service environment.

It is important to keep in mind that when migrating Experiences between environments.

Use QR Code or a ThingMark to open an Experience doesn't have any impact in View, in 3D Canvas, when using any Target.

So, we don't have any best pratices to use QR Code and ThingMark.

The only difference is QR Code is unique to an Experience.

Best regards,

Samuel

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
sdidier
17-Peridot
(To:BenAtLmco)

Hello BenAtLmco,

QR Code is unique to an Experience. I would mean by unique a same Experience published in various Vuforia Experience Service will have different QR Code

A ThingMark can be linked to open various Experiences or to in various Views to place 3D Model.

Be carreful, a ThingMarks has this filename format and code inside it Domain-ID:ThingMark ID.

So, a ThingMark is linked to a specific Vuforia Experience Service environment.

At the end, a QR Code and a ThingMark are linked to a Vuforia Experience Service environment.

It is important to keep in mind that when migrating Experiences between environments.

Use QR Code or a ThingMark to open an Experience doesn't have any impact in View, in 3D Canvas, when using any Target.

So, we don't have any best pratices to use QR Code and ThingMark.

The only difference is QR Code is unique to an Experience.

Best regards,

Samuel

Top Tags