cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Accidentally Deleted an Assembly from my WorkSpace.

ptc-5737990
1-Newbie

Accidentally Deleted an Assembly from my WorkSpace.

Yesterday I accidentally deleted my assembly from my workspace (It was never uploaded to the server/commonspace in Windchill).

I did some research and found my local cache folder on my hard drive and found where all the .wfcont files are located....but my assembly (and part files) were not there.

I am starting to think that any file which is deleted from your workspace (and was never uploaded to Windchill) automatically gets deleted from the local cache folder. Am I correct in my assumption?

Is there any way to recover a file which was never uploaded to Windchill and was accidentally deleted from your workspace?

6 REPLIES 6

If enabled, Workspaces have frames that maintain groups of files. You may be able to go back to a frame the assembly is still in. I think each frame is created when any item is checked in or checked out.

Files in the local cache are effectively encrypted. I don't think you can even see the part file names. In Windchill there is a wrapper file that seems to include the part/assembly file and other information. This is unlike Intralink (not to be confused with WindChill Intralink) which kept a small directory from which recovery was possible.

If you managed to create the assembly and then remove it from the Workspace without any other Windchill activity then it may be gone. On the other hand, perhaps this is a great time to try to run the trail file to recreate the assembly.

Thanks for the reply David. I am able to open the encryped cache files (.wfcont) by simply renaming the file extention to (.prt or .asm) but none of the .wfcont files are the file(s) I am looking for.

I never heard about 'Frames' before and just did some research. 'Frames' can be very helpful in the future for situations like this (unfortunately my frames were set to the default state of zero). I have added ' 100 Frames' to my default settings so this will not happen in the future (hopefully)...thanks.

I also had to research 'Trail File' but I don't think that will help me out either (it appears that I need to have the original trail file for the assembly....I think).

I appreciate your assistance and help.

Bummer. I was hoping this was a created-yesterday, deleted-today sort of thing, where the trail file was still available.

100 is a lot of frames. I'd try 20-50 because with the frames comes a certain amount of baggage.

One of those bags is if you rename family tabled components that are referred to by name in assembly family tables, the names in those assembly tables may not change correctly in the Workspace. Only speaking for WF5 and WC9.1 and other unknown software configs; It's not calamity, but I think it's because existing components referred to in older frames don't get their names changed correctly; I say this because of error messages that indicate a problem with an old name that I no longer see in the current frames.

Best of luck.

Hi,

If you speak to your PTC reseller/technical support they will be able to recover the files in your workspace cache. PTC have a tool to convert all of the *.wfconf files to *.prt/*.asm/*.drw. PTC say that this is not a guarenteed way to recover all of the files, but I find it a very userful tool.

Regards,

Greg

gwhite
1-Newbie
(To:gwhite)

You will want to refer to this link for the tool

Follow option 2.

http://communities.ptc.com/message/234839#234839

I hope it helps

Greg

Hi Kevin,

What Greg is saying is correct.Technical Support uses internal tools from PTC development to decrypt the name of encrypted files from the cache. Therefor, I would suggest opening a case if possible.

Otherwise the link Greg posted might be a good place to start.

Thanks,

Jarrett

Top Tags