cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Can the creator role be added to the team?

OnurNalbantgl
12-Amethyst

Can the creator role be added to the team?

Hi everybody,

I need this from change management;

The change notixw is generated in the "open" state and the members role can do this.

However, I want only the person who created the created "change notice" to be able to edit it in the design state.

However, I cannot add the creator role to any role.

Have you encountered anything like this before? Did you need it?

How can I solve this without changing my product structure?

How can I actively use the Owner role?

OnurNalbantgl_0-1699963736191.png

Let me repeat my request;

Anyone can create but I want only the creator to be editable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks @Fadel and @avillanueva .

@Fadel , what you showed in the screenshot solved the knot but remained incomplete. I would like to complete;

I will explain what I did step by step;

1- I opened the ECN lifecycle and added the "owner" role to all states from the "roles" field.

OnurNalbantgl_1-1700137810979.png

2- I gave the permissions I wanted to the states that I did not want anyone other than the Owner to interfere with (this was open and implementation for me).

OnurNalbantgl_2-1700137891875.png

3- (Most importantly) I went back to the "Roles" area, clicked on the "owner" role in the "Selected Roles" section and clicked on the "participants" button on the clicked.

- In the window that opened, I clicked "add" to the "Creator" role in the Actors section.

OnurNalbantgl_4-1700137979295.png

4- I registered LifeCycle and clicked check-in.

5- I went to "policy administrator" as Fadel did and selected "all pseudo role" for the "change notice" type in all states. In the Permission section, I selected "deny" for Modify powers.

OnurNalbantgl_5-1700138066075.png

6- I opened 2 test users and started ECN from them. It was exactly what I wanted. Only the "creator" could make changes in the implementation step. (If it is to be used for previously launched ECNs, "reassing life cycle" should be used.)

You probably knew what I said, but I wanted to explain it in detail because I hope someone who doesn't know it can understand it.

This solution solved a very big problem of ours. thanks everyone. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Creator is an actor not a role. Its not accessible in ACLs, Lifecycles and I only see it in workflows. The creator of the workflow is typically the same as the CN since the workflow spawns when its created. You might have to handle this with a workflow task where you can assign rights to the creator to be able to edit the PBO (Change Notice) while the hold the task. If the state changes, that task gets removed from them. 

From a flexibility standpoint, this might be a problem since the creator is a single person and cannot be changed. If they don't look both ways when crossing the street, there is no way to shift to another person. Is the problem you want to solve that you don't want other people mucking with someone else's CN? Is that a problem in your org? I would think that having a collaborative setup where they can all pitch in would be a plus. 

@avillanueva

Hello,

Yes, actually my problem is that team members who share the same product can edit each other's changes.

I saw the owner role to overcome this problem, but it was dysfunctional because I could not add "creator" under it.

However, while researching these, I discovered "owner pseudo role". I gave permissions to this role, but unfortunately it still does not do what I expect.

OnurNalbantgl_0-1700027394791.png

Then my suggestion would be to user a role, name does not matter, and in the workflow assign the user who is the creator to that role. Similar to how in the CN workflow, the CR Author is created via a method expression robot and populated. In the workflow, you can grant rights to that user.  I think you can use that also in combination with the Lifecycle to grant rights. In the workflow, the task holder can also have rights granted to them while they hold the task but that is a bit clunky. 

Fadel
22-Sapphire I
(To:OnurNalbantgl)

Deny Modify permission to every one in ACL , the owner should get the needed permission adhoc from Lifecycle 

Fadel_0-1700053568575.png

Fede

Thanks @Fadel and @avillanueva .

@Fadel , what you showed in the screenshot solved the knot but remained incomplete. I would like to complete;

I will explain what I did step by step;

1- I opened the ECN lifecycle and added the "owner" role to all states from the "roles" field.

OnurNalbantgl_1-1700137810979.png

2- I gave the permissions I wanted to the states that I did not want anyone other than the Owner to interfere with (this was open and implementation for me).

OnurNalbantgl_2-1700137891875.png

3- (Most importantly) I went back to the "Roles" area, clicked on the "owner" role in the "Selected Roles" section and clicked on the "participants" button on the clicked.

- In the window that opened, I clicked "add" to the "Creator" role in the Actors section.

OnurNalbantgl_4-1700137979295.png

4- I registered LifeCycle and clicked check-in.

5- I went to "policy administrator" as Fadel did and selected "all pseudo role" for the "change notice" type in all states. In the Permission section, I selected "deny" for Modify powers.

OnurNalbantgl_5-1700138066075.png

6- I opened 2 test users and started ECN from them. It was exactly what I wanted. Only the "creator" could make changes in the implementation step. (If it is to be used for previously launched ECNs, "reassing life cycle" should be used.)

You probably knew what I said, but I wanted to explain it in detail because I hope someone who doesn't know it can understand it.

This solution solved a very big problem of ours. thanks everyone. 🙂

Top Tags