cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Change Management workflow question

pcnelson
1-Newbie

Change Management workflow question

Hello,

We are soon to implement Change Management and most likely will use Change Notices without using Change Requests because we currently perform both functions at one time. I am looking for recommendations on how to fit the OOTB functionality to our current process. We do not currently have a designated person who would create the tasks because they can vary from notice to notice, soour Engineers fulfill the equivalent function. My idea is to have multiple users use a single login for the Change Admin I role. That will allow a single person to be placed in the CA1 role and receive the follow up notifications, and at the same time allow multiple Engineers to fill in the required information and create the downstream tasks. I have two questions:

Do you see any potential issues with this plan?

Can I allow a downstream user or task owner to add an additional task after the CN is started?

Thanks for you input.

5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:pcnelson)

I would think you want all of your engineers in the CA1 role with only 1 required to initiate a CN. This way you can track who is submitting the CN requests.

Hi Pete,

First, check the license agreement with PTC. The use of generic licenses is something they don't want, the way I understand it.

Also, within the workflow you can replace the CA1 role with a group or a single individual, though I recommend just leaving the role in place. Instead, go to the context team page and place a user or a group into the CA1 role. I'm not getting a great sense of what you want the CA1 to accomplish, so these answers may be a little off.

You can have any number of people with permission to create new Change Notices. You don't really need a generic account for this. In fact, it's probably a much better practice to make users use their own accounts so you can track who is doing what, who needs follow-up training, and so forth.

You can also allow other users (or groups) to edit an existing change notice. This includes creating additional implementation plans (Change Notice Tasks) within that change notice.

Pete,

I would avoid multiple users with one login. Try adding each user to the role change admin 1. We are about 8 months ahead of you. We did implement CRs and CNs. In our case we tried to use OOTB and are finding some points of that didn’t suit our process so I am updating the workflows. Also you may find that CA 1 and CA 2 are doing the same tasks.

Good luck,

Bob Lohbauer

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:pcnelson)

We kept the Request for one major reason (so far) - you cannot create a Change Notice without also selecting users for related Change Task(s). It's possible to leave them default until someone else edits (re-assigns users), or use some placeholder user but things are very elegant that way.

May be a major consideration: Disposition and Effectivity are available on the Change Task, not on the Request.

Many people replied with the recommedation to not allow multiple users to use the CA1 login.I would prefer not to do that as well, but am concerned that if I add 15 people under the CA1 role they will each receive all the Process Notifications. Is there a way around that?

Top Tags