cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Order in Query Builder for faster searching?

Aquamarine

Change Order in Query Builder for faster searching?

WHen running a report created using Query Builder it seems to take a long time to display the results.

When searching by "Reportable Item" attributes in WC11.0, I would like to know if I can change the order of the attributes and operators to run the report faster.  For example, If I search by cad part first, and other attributes later will the report run faster?  Vice versa? 

Or is there a way to run the report as a fast index search?

Any other advice on how to get report results to search and display faster?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Change Order in Query Builder for faster searching?

Hi Lawrence,

the first thing that affects the speed of execution of a query builder report is the selected attribute type.

The difference should be quite clear by reading the excerpt from the guide I attached to this comment

Another thing you can do, to understand which attribute slows down the execution of the report, is to select one at a time and try to run it on the same data set.

It's a bit slow, but it will definitely help you understand where the problem lies.

Marco

So do you think that Boolean or attribute order is not important? 

For example there is order within a Boolean, and then there is Boolean order if there is more than one type (e.g I have 1 set of ANDs and 2 sets of ORs.  Each have between 2 and 6 criteria's in each).

Sorry, but I'm not a DB expert, so I can't give you a definite answer to your question.

What I wrote comes only from the experience of using a SW with little information on how to get the best results from its use.

Marco
Announcements

Thingworx Navigate content has a new home! Click here to access the new Thingworx Navigate forum! ______________________________ Check out the Windchill Tips Board! We're talking about Whirlpool's use of digital twin, augmented reality, and data-driven design!

The NAVIGATE WORKING GROUP is here! Come innovate with PTC!