cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Custom AutoCAD worker

bkontham
11-Garnet

Custom AutoCAD worker

Hi All,

I am configuring the Custom CAD Worker following the PTC article ( https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS40919). As mentioned in the article, I have to create a command line utility or script that can take an AutoCAD DWG file as an input and create PDF as Output.

Did anyone has configured the Custom AutoCAD worker? Please share the steps to configure the utility or Script. There are third party tools for conversion but I don't want to use them.

Thanks,

Bhagirath

15 REPLIES 15

After exhausting all the options, I have decided to use the Third party tool for dwg to pdf conversion. Now I'm facing difficulty on how to configure this setup i.e. creating bat scripts required. If anyone has configured this setup, please let me know.

Hi Bhagirath,

I am facing the same issue. Were you able to set up the Autcad worker succesfully ?. I would rather create dwf files then pdf. Any advices and tips are highly appriciated.

Thanks

Best regads

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

I was able to setup the CAD Worker successfully. At what point are you facing an issue?

Thanks,

Bhagirath

Hi Bhagirath,

I am at the point to customize the worker.pl. Wonder which converter program I should use  . Both, DWF and PDF format  would be ok for me. I assume only  3th party converter are available (no .exe from the AutocadMechanical Installation  ?) Could you give me any suggestions how you solved this issue.

Thank you very much in advanced

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Yes, we only have 3rd party tools for conversion. We have purchased AutoDWG (http://www.autodwg.com/PDF/ ) DWG to PDF conversion tool for our installation. Try using the trail version to verify the functionality.

Thanks,

Bhagirath

Hi Bhagirath,

Can you help me to customize the worker.pl. I downloaded AutoDWG, but I dont know how use it with worker.

Hi Oleg,

Update the following entries in worker.pl and workerstart.bat

worker.pl

worker.pl.png

workerstart.bat

workerstart.png

Hi Bhagirath,

I have the same worker.pl file, but when I try to publish *.dwg file in Windchill, pdf file is not created.

Video Link : 7540

Also in my worker.pl file I have no strings

$PROG_CMD = ""

$SFX = "_drw"

If I try to use it, job failed (failed to create the output file C: \ ptc \ adapters \ acad_custom \ tmp \ 1486114638361.out)

Hi Oleg,

Could you attach the worker.pl file.

Hi  Bhagirath

i am involved into case  from Russian site (as Oleg's team member)  from the Product Department and now try to understand why we cannot repeat your experience with AutoCAD-file transition to PDF if you do it succsessful (?)

regarding worker.pl you and we have  and we need to recognize difference(s).

You wrote:

We have another value of $GENERIC_INSTALL variable according our server file system structure - it is O'K. Automatically value of $PROG differs from the same variable on our site due to reassigning it through  $GENERIC_INSTALL - it is O'K too. But what we find hare: you described two variables in your "worker.pl" -

$PROG_CMD  (you set this variable as "empty value" )

and

$SFK (=  "_drw")

We don't have this two variables in our "workwr.pl" in that part of "worker.pl". And we checked all the text of worker.pl in the our server - we cannot find them at all.

=> (probably) it was a reason: may be we operate with "wrong" or you operate with corrected form of worker.pl if we occure differences mentioned above.

Could you please give me access to your variant of worker.pl original?

Or please check our variant I sent you via e-mail today.

= = = = = =

Yet another difference - when we compare your and our version  workstart.bat bat-files:

we suppose  You use 64-bit Java 7, see third row of your example):

set JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jre7

We use 8-th version of Java and with 32-bit edition of it.

Could you inform us which version-subversion-build of (how-many-bits) Java we use?

May be it can another reason of our situation.

Thank you in advance.

Vladimir Krayushkin.

And regarding Thomas Chao additional explanation concerning JAVA and OS:

we are using here

MS Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

and  Java 8.0.121 64-bit version^

DWG_PDF_001.png

ademarco
6-Contributor
(To:oknyazev)

We have run into the same error "can not produce output file xxx.out", if you were able to resolve it, can you share any details?

tchao
4-Participant
(To:bkontham)

We are able to create a custom AutoCAD worker using this Any DWG to PDF converter (DWG to PDF Converter - AnyDWG).  The only we face is that the this custom AutoCAD Worker is not stable when running in Windows Window 2008 R2 (did have time to try it on 2012 or 2012 R2); however, it is running fine on Window 7 Professional.  The other issue is some conversion took longer than 10 min., that is why many of our published turned out failed due to 600 sec. timeout setting.

tchao
4-Participant
(To:tchao)

This is out settings:

Top Tags