cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Edit or Rename Document Description

Markh74
8-Gravel

Edit or Rename Document Description

Good day Everyone

I would like to find out how i can edit or change the Document description once created in Windchill.

I am able to Rename the Document but I need to also change the description.

Now I have Documents with new or changed names but the description refers to something else. 

This can be confusing.

13 REPLIES 13
Fadel
22-Sapphire I
(To:Markh74)

you will need to check out and edit the doc and later check in back , eventually add description attribute to edit layout

Fadel_0-1706785223587.png

Fede
Markh74
8-Gravel
(To:Fadel)

Ok but then I sit with a document on the next Revision for example it is A.3 and when I check it back it is A.4.

I never made any changes to the Document but only want to change the description in Windchill.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

There is an option on the primary content to keep what you have and not upload a new file. Scroll below to see the description and make changes. In that case, you are only updating the attributes.

Yes where do I do this. I only want to edit the attributes specifically the Descriptions without uploading or changing the content or Version.

Fadel
22-Sapphire I

@Markh74 Description is modeled attribute on WTDoc you can't edit it without iterating , try to add an attribute on WTDOcumentmaster, but not sure if it will be displayed on rename wizard 

Fede
HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @Markh74 

Modifying the attribute Description is change so you need to check-out/in the WTDocument.

Yes you can do it without changing the primary file.

As a user you don't have any other option to change the description. 

HelesicPetr_0-1706884132384.png

HelesicPetr_2-1706884213188.png

PetrH

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

avillanueva_0-1707140679298.png

You can toggle this radio button to Do not upload. Scroll down further to update the description. This also works in Multi-Object edit operations.

That still requires checkout/checkin 🤷‍♂️

I thought the request was how to do it without iterating. No?
<BR><BR>
HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I
(To:d_graham)

Hi @d_graham 

Yes. How do you do that without customization? 

No way. You have to customize the system. 

PetrH

Petr,

I said this was a custom action.
No way I didn’t 😂

Of course this is a customization. 😁

<BR><BR>
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

d_graham
17-Peridot

@Markh74  hi

I had a request to do something very similar for EPMDocuments.

I created a custom action in the EPMDocument's action menu that allows the user to edit the description.

The company wanted the EPMDocument iterated so I wrote the tool such that it required the EPMDocument to be a working copy checked out by the user who was running the tool.

The change is not kept unless the user then checks in the EPMDocument.

BTW, they need the description limited to 1024 characters which the tool enforced.

That said, I could have written the code to not iterate the EPMDocument while is edited the Description,

The same can be done for WTDocuments as well, update description without checkout/checkin.

The user would select the action, fill in a text field (limited to 4000 characters or less is so desired), then select a button to make the change.

Also, the tool could be written such that it can only be run on a working copy checked out by the user running the tool and still NOT iterated the WTDocument.  Sneaky for sure but it would work.

The description could also update all iteration of the same Revision at the same time if that was desired.  The sky's the limit!

David

If you need help send me a private message with you work contact info and I'll get back to you promptly.

rleir
17-Peridot

For a Part, you have Action -> Edit Common Attributes.  Perhaps that action could be configured for documents. I don't know how difficult that would be. @Markh74 

Top Tags