cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Excel or PowerBI interigation of windchill for tasks

ER_6867527
1-Newbie

Excel or PowerBI interigation of windchill for tasks

Version: Windchill 12.0

Use Case: I would like to make an excel team task tracker that contains ECR, CT & ECN numbers in it smarter by automatically telling me where each persons task is in the workflow without needing to search individually for each task.

Description:

Is there a way to get WindChill & Excel to interact where if i type a CT number into a cell, the cells adjacent to it will feedback data about that CT? i.e. Where in a workflow it is, what node is it on, who is the assignee of the node?
I am a very basic user so may need hand holding but i also have PowerBI which may be able to do it (Also a novice user of this)

4 REPLIES 4

First be sure to bookmark this page: https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill-Tips/Resource-for-reporting/ta-p/817824 

Second, within that page, maybe check out this post: https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill/Change-Task-Report-qml/td-p/451196 

Note the qml in that second link has nothing to do with Excel.... doing what you specifically describe is going to be more challenging. I would first ask the question why do you want to do that in Excel when all of the data is available in Windchill already?  Between Query Builder reports and Saved Reports (i.e. a report template with a specific criteria parameters stored in it for easy re-use) I'd think you'd have enough functionality to dismiss Excel as a need.

Hi @ER_6867527,

I wanted to see if you got the help you needed.

If so, please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. It will help other members who may have the same question.
Please note that industry experts also review the replies and may eventually accept one of them as solution on your behalf.
Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please pursue the conversation. 

Thanks,
Anurag 

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:ER_6867527)

Its possible in Excel for sure. This is processed from the Open Tasks report into Excel showing signoffs pending and who needs to sign. For Power BI, I think you can do it if you can suck in the QML report. I do this in Excel from a web query.

avillanueva_0-1726601293577.png

Absolutely you can extract and load data to Excel via PowerQuery.  I do the same and also with PowerBI.  Depending on desired user interaction level with the data it can be more of a data warehouse approach with periodic refreshes or a much more discreet scope and use-case for ad-hoc data pulls.  

The statement from the OP that I focused on was "if i type a CT number into a cell, the cells adjacent to it will feedback data about that CT".  If looking to type into a cell and pull real time info from Windchill that's different than pulling a data set into PowerQuery, loading as table, then typing the CT number into a cell and returning info with lookups.  The request needs a little more clarity to understand what is trying to be achieved because there are multiple approaches.  Is it a requirement that Excel be used? Is it a requirement that Windchill not be the UI tool to perform the search/report?

Announcements

Top Tags