cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Flexible components set to Read only in WS not displaying correctly

LawrenceS
18-Opal

Flexible components set to Read only in WS not displaying correctly

Under our current configuration we have found that if flexible components are locked in the WS that the components will display in their un-flexible state. For example, a spring with Free Length of 2" installed at 1.5" will show in the assembly at 2" thus overlapping with the geometry around the spring.

After opening a PTC call we found that if we set the config option regenerate_read_only_objects to YES, it does display correctly. The problem is, if an object is locked locally, should it be allowed to regenerate? The instinctual answer is no, it shouldn't. Unfortunately the PTC rep could not explain the advantages and disadvantages of the option. Does 10.1 behave the same way toward flexible components when they are locked in the WS? Does the option you described above account for this?

Has anyone found a problem with with setting (or leaving) this config option at YES?

Spring overlap with other geometry (or above geometry) is highlighted in yellow in the picture below:

SPring_overlap.JPG

Note: I am posting this under WC because it only happens inside a WS when the items are locked or set to "read only"...but maybe it is better under Creo...

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
6 REPLIES 6

Hello,

unfortunately, flexible parts (and all other methodologies that "modify" a part in an assembly context , like assembly features), are not really "compatible", with the "product centric" approach of Windchill ...

Does not work in lot of cases ... Not correctly displayed in PSB dynamic Creo View, hard to save as if design in context...

execpting if your parts are stored in an non stable regeneration state, I think you should only faced to perfo issues...

regards

What is PSB mean? I am not sure what you are saying here...?

I also do not know what this means "execpting if your parts are stored in an non stable regeneration state, I think you should only faced to perfo issues..."

Thanks.

Excuse me. PSB is the Product Structure Browser in 10.0

the WTpart BOM, with the embeded Product View on the righ panel

The Product View viz is different than the little one on the info page.

-the little one is mostly published with the configuration "as stored" (ie corresponding to checkin state of the asm)

All the assembly can be regen and take care of assembly features or flexible parts

-in the PSB view, each compoenent are dynamically (and individually) loaded, regarding the WTPart ConfigSpec and position matrix inherit from CAD. So features assembly or flexible parts are not well generated. cause not viewed in the correct assembly context.

By non stable version, I would say storing parts, not correctly regen before saving in commonspace. (or family table instances not verified, etc ...)

Perfo issue. I just assume that if ProE regen locked parts, it will take more time than if it does not regen ...

regards

Gregory

Thanks for explaning and I think that I understand what you are saying better. I have never heard that the little View Viz and the info/detail page Viz are published differently. I wonder why they would do that. As for WT Parts, we don't use them yet and the issue we are having is not limited to parts or assemblies with Family Tables, so I don't think that is a factor. Also, our parts and assemblies are simple enough where Performance is not as big of a factor as other issues.

As for the mentioned Config option, regenerate_read_only_objects,

1. What do you have this set to?
  2. What do you think are the advantages/disadvantages to setting it to yes/no?

I hope others can get in on this discussion as well...

We are set to yes, but we do not use the WS lock function ...

I'm not a ProE expert, but regarding your case, it is mandatory if you want that your flexible component are correctly regen. (lock or unclock , it will not change anything)

I assume that parameter is mandatory for any "design in assembly context* function like:

flexible parts

assembly features ...

where each single part is "modified" in the context of her parent. ProE will need to regen to update your spring to the correct lengh . Or to cut the hole through the part for the case of an assembly hole....

We use flexible parts in our assemblies and leave the config setting to "yes". We have not seen any issues with this. As mentioned before it can slow perfomance, but in our case that slow performance is much better then having a thousand different angle models just to change length.

Top Tags