cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

How do I find out if an account is safe to disable?

cydavid
4-Participant

How do I find out if an account is safe to disable?

I am using Windchill PDMLink Release 11.0 and Datecode with CPS M030-CPS22

How do I check if disabling an account would affect the workflow? I'm worried that some of these accounts I wish to close have some kind of responsibilities on them that would produce unforeseeable consequences, for example all process from a workflow might go through that account. How do I find out the account's responsibility and effect?

Also, is there a way to find out the heavy/light user in the system for this windchill version?

Thank you so much for your help. I'm new here and really appreciates your helping hand.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:cydavid)

The workflow should call out roles or and the change object is going to be assigned to a team template of those roles. If no user is directly called out, when the change object is created, it will populate those roles from people listed in the context team template. Those people now are part of the change object's team and potentially could be assigned a task later in that workflow. Combined with the active open tasks list and the potential future task of a running workflow, it would follow that the user should be replaced by someone else so the workflow continues to the right people. If all of those are clear for this user who is to be deleted, that is one check that you can say passed.  Its a bit of following the thread but it gets easier. 

Nothing drastic will happen if you make a mistake. Worse that happens is a workflow needs to send a task to someone that does not exist (which you have checked already) and cannot find them. It looks for the responsible role as a backup and might end up at wcadmin. Those you can spot and redirect to the right person if that did occur. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
cydavid
4-Participant
(To:Marco_Tosin)

Thank you very much for the links!
For the work item, I was able to make sure that the  accounts I want to delete already have no work items under them using sql beforehand, in the same way that your last link provided. I really need help on making sure that the account has no function, or used by the system, or workflow might pass through them. Is there any tutorial for that?

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

Welcome to administration. @Marco_Tosin reports are useful. The Heavy/Light question can be answered by looking at the user's profile and what license groups they are in. 

Typically workflows are tied to the primary business object which has a team associated to it. The workflow will pull from those teams to assign tasks. You need to study up on all the workflows that are active which can help you know where to look. For example, if we were using workflows for change objects, I would focus on that person's role in context teams and which roles are used in those workflows. Then its a matter of looking to see what teams they are on. Also possible via Query reports. Open Tasks is a good report to see if they current have a task.

You also have the option of disabling that user for a period, setting up a delegate so tasks are sent to another user (in Calendar) and then removing later once things settle out. Check also that your workflows have a proper responsible role, in case that user got a task, you know it should be directed to another role or user and not wcadmin.

Hello @cydavid,

It looks like you have some responses from some community members. If any of these replies(1,2) helped you solve your question please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. 

Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so other community members can continue to help you.

Thanks,
Community Moderation Team.

cydavid
4-Participant
(To:avillanueva)

I went under each context and select their teams and see the members. The accounts I want to delete doesn't show up in these teams. I've also made sure they don't currently have tasks.

I'll be studying up on the workflows for now, is there some kind of guide for this?

cydavid
4-Participant

As an example for my previous question, I'm looking at a workflow from the Workflow Process Administration Utility now, how do I find out which users and accounts that an object like Engineering Change Notice (which goes through this flow) can possibly go to? 

Thank you very much!! I appreciate your help!

As @avillanueva wrote, welcome to the world of Windchill administrators.

Unfortunately for you, and also for all the rest of the administrators who have been asking for more powerful user management tools for years, there is no tool that allows you to have all of your user management information in one place, and more importantly, there is nothing bombproof.

User management always has some flaws, especially if it is in the hands of multiple people or entities.

Who is informed when a person goes away for a long period or leaves the company permanently?

Is this information communicated to those who manage Windchill users?
Is the person with assigned WFs instructed that he or she should turn them over to someone else before leaving the company?
Is there someone in the office of the user in question who checks to see if that user has reassigned to another person?

And on and on with the questions.

There are dozens of reports created for managing users and their assignments but one has to settle for having to use more than one at a time.

Marco
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

The workflow should call out roles or and the change object is going to be assigned to a team template of those roles. If no user is directly called out, when the change object is created, it will populate those roles from people listed in the context team template. Those people now are part of the change object's team and potentially could be assigned a task later in that workflow. Combined with the active open tasks list and the potential future task of a running workflow, it would follow that the user should be replaced by someone else so the workflow continues to the right people. If all of those are clear for this user who is to be deleted, that is one check that you can say passed.  Its a bit of following the thread but it gets easier. 

Nothing drastic will happen if you make a mistake. Worse that happens is a workflow needs to send a task to someone that does not exist (which you have checked already) and cannot find them. It looks for the responsible role as a backup and might end up at wcadmin. Those you can spot and redirect to the right person if that did occur. 

Top Tags