cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

How do discard changes to local workspace but not server workspace?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

How do discard changes to local workspace but not server workspace?

I must be missing something super simple here, but how does one discard the changes to an object in a local workspace without losing the changes in the server side workspace?

Steps to reproduce

1. Check out object
  2. Open in Creo, make changes, save.
  3. Upload changes.
  4. Make more changes in Creo, save.

Need to discard changes in step 4 and return to condition of object in step 3.

"Update" doesn't work - "Nothing is Out Of Date in Workspace"

Frames (or events) aren't an option (in this particular case).

Current workaround is to launch Creo on a different PC, export the object from the same workspace (with only the server side changes), physically transport it to the other PC, and re-open, overwriting the last local workspace version.

Is there a better way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

Hi Tom,

You probably figured it out by now, but the solution is to use the "Add to Workspace" command:

In my case, I was working on a new assembly, which I previously saved and uploaded (not yet been checked in).

Anyway, I saved some unintended changes to it.  So I wanted to get the server side workspace version back to my client workspace:

I selected this object (it had the upward curved arrow icon "Modifications need to be uploaded").  Then I used "Add to Workspace" command (Yellow square with + on it).  Then, I switched to the advanced view, removed all but the initially selected object from the table, and changed the action from "reuse" (recycle symbol) to "Download" (downward curved arrow symbol)...  This worked well: the system asked if I want to replace the object in session and I did - and the changes were gone.

I think that for your case where you already have stuff checked in, the procedure would be similar...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

You can delete the workspace cache, restart Creo and resync.

Maybe there is still a better way.

Is server side definitely different, we have it set to automatically upload after checkin?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:DarrenStorey)

Yes, definitely different. We do not have auto upload turned on.

The issue with blowing the cache away is that you will lose anything else that is changed but not uploaded. Depending on the number of workspaces and the number of objects in each workspace, this could be a lot of things.

Tom, can you not simply upload and check-in all the changes you want to keep, don't upload the changes you want to revert. Then download everything again, to a new workspace?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:DarrenStorey)

Not easily. There are hundreds of objects in the workspace in the process of being updated. There is no guarantee that all of these objects are ready to be checked in.

psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

Hi Tom,

You probably figured it out by now, but the solution is to use the "Add to Workspace" command:

In my case, I was working on a new assembly, which I previously saved and uploaded (not yet been checked in).

Anyway, I saved some unintended changes to it.  So I wanted to get the server side workspace version back to my client workspace:

I selected this object (it had the upward curved arrow icon "Modifications need to be uploaded").  Then I used "Add to Workspace" command (Yellow square with + on it).  Then, I switched to the advanced view, removed all but the initially selected object from the table, and changed the action from "reuse" (recycle symbol) to "Download" (downward curved arrow symbol)...  This worked well: the system asked if I want to replace the object in session and I did - and the changes were gone.

I think that for your case where you already have stuff checked in, the procedure would be similar...

In fact, in Windchill 10.2, re-adding the object from Workspace UI, with the Download option, should bring back the version uploaded to the server side of the workspace.

You can download the Commonspace version navigating the Context folders and starting the Add to Workspace from there.

Since Windchill 11.1 M010 the behavior has been enhanced to facilitate the download of the Commonspace copy, see articles CS172371 and CS292297

cgorni
16-Pearl
(To:cgorni)

Additional details on above post:

• Change in Windchill 11.1 M010 and later is mainly for non checked-out objects, to get the Commonspace version when re-adding the object from workspace.
  • In fact for checked-out objects another alternative is to perform an Undo Checkout with the Download option set.
Top Tags