cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to Rename Family Table Assembly (the Generic and the Instances)?

ScottPearson
3-Visitor

How to Rename Family Table Assembly (the Generic and the Instances)?

I am new to the "fun" world of Family Table parts/ assemblies. I've got the general scheme down pat but I am confused about Renaming the "Generic" file and the associated files of the "Instances".

My situation has the added wrinkle of using Windchill-based PRO/Intralink as my PDM.

SITUATION

Current Filenames:

Generic Filename = Widget_generic.asm

Instance 1 Filename = Widget_inst1.asm

Instance 2 Filename = Widget_inst2.asm

I want to Rename those files as shown here:

Generic Filename = Bracket_generic.asm

Instance 1 Filename = Bracket_inst1.asm

Instance 2 Filename = Bracket_inst2.asm

First thing I did in my Renaming process was to Rename the Generic file in Windchill. That worked as expected. No surprises.

Then following the rules (as I understand them), I  then checked-out the Generic file and the files of both Instances.

Then I opened the Generic file in Creo, opened the Family Table, then edited the names of the Instances to my desired new filenames.

I verified all Instances, closed down the Family Table, then saved/closed the Generic file.

Here's where the surprise came in:

When looking in my Workspace after the save/close of the Generic, I had two "New" files in my Workspace bearing the names I had just provided in my edited Family Table. And the two files of the original Instances were no longer listed. What gives?

I had expected that the filesnames of the Instances would have changed in the Workspace but I did not expect that files of the (Renamed) Instances would show up as "New" files.

And since the files of the (Renamed) Instances are "New" files in my Workspace, why are the files of the originally-named Instance no longer listed?

Confused, I bailed out and did NOT perform a check-in of either the modified Generic nor the "New" files of the (Renamed) Instances.

Is this sequence of events normal when Renaming the Instances within a Family Table of a Generic? \

Will these "New" files be replacing the original Instance files in Windchill?

Or will these "New" files really be treated as "New" objects within Windchill -- thus not as the straightforward Rename as I had intended?

A quick search of PTC's Support site did not yield any specific guidance on Renaming Family Table Parts/Assys in the Windchill environment. If such a How To document exists on ptc.com, it doesn't reveal itself with a quick search.

TIA for any sage guidance you Family Table/Windchill vets can provide,

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:ScottPearson)

Hi Scott,

When working with a Windchill environment, in general, rename actions should be performed in Windchill. If you rename in Creo then you get the behavior you described above. Are you having trouble using the Rename action on family table instances within Windchill?

I just did a quick test and was able to successfully rename both generic and instances using the Windchill Rename. When the instance or generic is retrieved the next time within Creo the names will get updated.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:ScottPearson)

Hi Scott,

When working with a Windchill environment, in general, rename actions should be performed in Windchill. If you rename in Creo then you get the behavior you described above. Are you having trouble using the Rename action on family table instances within Windchill?

I just did a quick test and was able to successfully rename both generic and instances using the Windchill Rename. When the instance or generic is retrieved the next time within Creo the names will get updated.

Hi Lori,

Renaming the Generic and the Instances files in Windchill worked just fine. Thanks for the guidance.

Everything I had read had stated that the Instances should be manipulated/edited from within the Generic so I really hesitated to Rename the files in the Windchill environment, but it worked as you stated.

I appreciate the help,

Scott

To remove this problem in the future make sure the config.pro setting let_proe_rename_pdm_objects is set to no.  This forces users to rename objects in Windchill.

Top Tags