cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to edit folder level security permissions?

jfrancis
4-Participant

How to edit folder level security permissions?

I am part of product manger and still don't get the permission to edit security from actions menu at folder level. Should I be part of some other group as well to be able to do this action?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:jfrancis)

There are a few things you need to do in order to modify folder or object level permissions (which is known as "Ad-Hoc" permissions).

1. Go to your Site>Utilities page and open Preference Management.
  2. Find the preference called "Access Permission Configuration (PDM)" (this is for Products and Libraries)
  3. Edit this preference to change the value for any specific action to "Update".
  4. Save the preference.

Now once that is done, you can update the ad-hoc permissions on a folder (and all objects and sub-folders within it, if desired) or a specific object with the following rules (assuming you have "Update" set for the action):

• If an ACL is configured to GRANT an action on the folder/object (grayed out checked box), you cannot apply an ad-hoc DENY (un-check).
  • If an ACL is configured to DENY an action on the folder/object (grayed out empty box), you cannot apply an ad-hoc GRANT (check).
  • You can apply an ad-hoc GRANT on a folder/object only if neither a grant nor a deny ACL exists for that action (white empty check box).
  • You can only ad-hoc DENY access to something that had been previously ad-hoc GRANT-ed (white checked box).  This is more accurately stated as "removing the GRANT", rather than actually "applying a DENY".

I'd be happy to discuss your overall access configuration in greater detail, if desired - feel free to send me an e-mail.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:jfrancis)

There are a few things you need to do in order to modify folder or object level permissions (which is known as "Ad-Hoc" permissions).

1. Go to your Site>Utilities page and open Preference Management.
  2. Find the preference called "Access Permission Configuration (PDM)" (this is for Products and Libraries)
  3. Edit this preference to change the value for any specific action to "Update".
  4. Save the preference.

Now once that is done, you can update the ad-hoc permissions on a folder (and all objects and sub-folders within it, if desired) or a specific object with the following rules (assuming you have "Update" set for the action):

• If an ACL is configured to GRANT an action on the folder/object (grayed out checked box), you cannot apply an ad-hoc DENY (un-check).
  • If an ACL is configured to DENY an action on the folder/object (grayed out empty box), you cannot apply an ad-hoc GRANT (check).
  • You can apply an ad-hoc GRANT on a folder/object only if neither a grant nor a deny ACL exists for that action (white empty check box).
  • You can only ad-hoc DENY access to something that had been previously ad-hoc GRANT-ed (white checked box).  This is more accurately stated as "removing the GRANT", rather than actually "applying a DENY".

I'd be happy to discuss your overall access configuration in greater detail, if desired - feel free to send me an e-mail.

Top Tags