cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Importing Instanced Solidworks into WC 12

kermitstang86
10-Marble

Importing Instanced Solidworks into WC 12

I am working on a manual xfer from Solidworks PDM to Windchill 12.

I have a batch of Solidworks files for COTS items that have multiple configurations.  Each "generic" file contains configuration names that would not be unique if I attempted to directly import.

I do have a property for the corporate part numbers that associate to each configuration.

I believe that, if I pull these COTS items in, and modify the configuration name (that seems to be driving and driven by the filename in my Workspace), that it will trip up future product imports that use those configurations.

My question is, can I set a Windchill or WGM preference to use that corporate number as my filename on import?

Mike Emerson
13 Yrs.
NAPTCRUG President
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Working on it this morning, my team worked and found this solution.

It allows us to pull in the file name as the config name@genericfilename,sldprt as the instances.

All it does really is map the filename.

The corporate number is still mapped to the WC number, and therefore will auto-associate properly.

I think this is it.

We now have to figure out how to approach data already in the system NOT imported this way, and may have future model reps to associate to the wtparts.

This is the link we used.

https://support.ptc.com/help/windchill/r12.1.2.0/en/index.html#page/Windchill_Help_Center/WWGMforSolidWorks/WWGMSWAdvTechSolidFamilyTableUnique.html

Mike Emerson
13 Yrs.
NAPTCRUG President

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

I think you are right. I have done a manual import from Agile of Solidworks data. I am not sure I ran into that issue but I can see the problem it creates. Its been a while, Solidworks uses both filename and last load location as a way to reference things right? How large is your conflict problem? Maybe it can be worked around by getting the majority of the items in and then dealing with the nasty stuff. I suggest that once you complete import, fully complete it, do not support future imports continuously so you have to keep dealing with this. 

So we can understand, are you saying that Solidworks PDM allowed instance names to be not unique inside their system? How did it resolve this problem? There are preferences that control cad doc name and number but filename is filename, The CAD tools do not use name and number in their references from what I can tell.

The piecemeal import "seems" like a viable burn down of risk to many, but realistically it is always preferable to fully migrate, then keep the archive PDM (legacy system) for reference, but locked, until all nuances are resolved.

As far as what SW PDM allows- yes, since it does not break down a BOM per se, it leaves the configurations embedded in the file, and the design table drives the various configurations into tabs in the PDM data card.  Being more native its much more seamless.

Thanks for the reply!

Mike Emerson
13 Yrs.
NAPTCRUG President

do configurations = family tables?

Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:avillanueva)

Configurations = family tables. They are treated in Windchill as such as well.

Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:kermitstang86)

On manual import do you mean "Tools/Import to Workspace" through WGM? 

If yes, you are creating new documents in Windchill via the import. Perhaps the "sync CAD file name to number" preference would give you what you want? 

Dobi_0-1695740355673.png

When we did PDM Pro to Windchill migrations, this was a challenge for sure... Do you have lots of files to do? I found that it was worth my mental sanity to go with someone like Fishbowl and pay for the tools they have to do the naming review, verifications and such. 

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:Dobi)

That option is only when created new cad docs from UI I think.

Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:avillanueva)

Lame! I think you're right 😞

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:Dobi)

When I did mine, I did latest only, first part files, then assemblies and finally drawings. There were some challenges in that it did not like using files from the workspace when retrieving drawings, I think it had something to do with last retrieval location but was not sure. Ended up with blank drawings. Of course you come across parts with external references which you throw into the problematic pile.  Ensure you have the publisher working since its a great way to validate that things are working.

Working on it this morning, my team worked and found this solution.

It allows us to pull in the file name as the config name@genericfilename,sldprt as the instances.

All it does really is map the filename.

The corporate number is still mapped to the WC number, and therefore will auto-associate properly.

I think this is it.

We now have to figure out how to approach data already in the system NOT imported this way, and may have future model reps to associate to the wtparts.

This is the link we used.

https://support.ptc.com/help/windchill/r12.1.2.0/en/index.html#page/Windchill_Help_Center/WWGMforSolidWorks/WWGMSWAdvTechSolidFamilyTableUnique.html

Mike Emerson
13 Yrs.
NAPTCRUG President

Here's an alternative solution for you:

DmitryC_0-1695760952663.png

You can use configuration properties to drive Name, Number, and Revision of instances during CAD upload. Works during the initial upload and and during an upload after save/before check in (when a new configuration is created, for example).

Already set to yes. 🙂

Mike Emerson
13 Yrs.
NAPTCRUG President
Top Tags