cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Inventor Font issue.

JHall
16-Pearl

Inventor Font issue.

We are in the process of installing (for the first time at our company) Windchill 11.0 (M030). We currently use Inventor 2017.  For Windchill we will be using Windchill Workgroup Manager 11.0 M030.

So far the only issue we have encountered is a font display problem in GDT frames and diameter symbols in dimensions. This Our VAR told us to use the help center font solution for AutoCAD files. That did not solve our Inventor problem.  AutoCAD 2D files view correctly.

In image 1.png, red circled letter is supposed to be a Profile of a Surface symbol.  The yellow highlighted letters are supposed to be Diameter symbols..

14 REPLIES 14
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:JHall)

I would locate the Inventor font file and copy it over to the Windchill machine and your publishing machine.

I am guessing that image is of the published AutoCAD file. If putting the font on the other machines does not solve the issue, then you may need to look at utilizing another font. Is the Inventor font a TrueType font?

Thanks for the reply Ben.
Yes, Inventor uses True Type fonts.  I neglected to mention we are running Windchill on the cloud. Not certain if that has any effect, but it's intriguing.
Inventor puts it's fonts in the Windows>fonts directory. I did, actually point Creo View to that directory as well, but no joy.
I neglected to say that this problem only occurs in Creo View.  We have Creo View 4.0, and under the options menu, I've pointed Creo View to the correct local folders, but still it appears the same way on all our machines.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Just to double check you---Inventor is loaded on the publishing machine with the same fonts that you have on the workstations?

With Creo and Windchill, Creo View requires a local install of Creo, not the network install that the designers use. I would guess that Creo View has the same requirement for Inventor. I find it easier to copy the network folder to the local machine so I get the latest changes that I made on the server copy.

Ben,

Since we are just beginning the install of Windchill, it is not available outside Engineering.  Our 'go live' is still a few months away.

You surmised correctly, Inventor is installed on the publishing machine (that is each Engineer's station).  Unless you are talking about the server where Windchill resides, then no.

Creo View is downloaded from the 'download software' area of Windchill, and installed locally.   Does that make sense to you?  I hope I've explained it properly.  

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Creo View viewer is downloaded from the server.

When you go into Worker Agent Administration for your publishing setup, do you use a dedicated machine for publishing, the Windchill server or the individual user's workstation. We have it setup to use a dedicated workstation that is used only for publishing. This will determine where the actual Creo View publishing is taking place. That machine needs to have the Inventor fonts installed.

Ben,

You may have something there.  It looks like our Worker Agent is configured on our cloud server. I'm going to investigate this further!

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Just out of curiosity, what format are you publishing to?  (When you open the published file in Creo View, what file extension is listed at the top of the page?)

JHall
16-Pearl
(To:TomU)

Tom,

Inventor is publishing a DWF file.  I double checked to be certain.  How do you think that could affect the fonts?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Sometimes there is some additional effort when publishing to PDFs.  In this case I think Ben is right.  You probably just need to add the fonts to Inventor on the CAD worker machine.

I don't use Inventor, but you might want to make sure Inventor (or the CAD worker) is configured to embed the TrueType fonts into the DWF file.  From a quick Google search is seems like this is configurable.  You definitely don't want to have to manually install the fonts on every computer running Creo View.

JHall
16-Pearl
(To:TomU)

So far we have partial resolution on this issue. 

It seems on many (including mine) installations of Inventor, this particular font (AIGDT___.ttf) isn't installed in a folder that Creo View sees. On some installations it is.  We can just put it in the Windows\fonts directory or find were it is and point Creo View there. 

However, We are looking for an enterprise wide solution at the moment, since a machine by machine installation or fix, probably won't work for us.

James

boemi
12-Amethyst

James,

were you able to solve your issue?

Rolled out to the company?

We do have also a font issue on our Inventor drawings

Thank you for your feedback

Marc

JHall
16-Pearl
(To:boemi)

Greetings @boemi  

Our solution was to install the font (AIGDT___.ttf)  on any machine that would be viewing Inventor files. 

I am quite disturbed that PTC had no other solution. I wish I had something better to offer.

James

Windchill 11.0 M030 CPS 18

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Well, I am not sure the issue is really a PTC problem.

It is Inventor that cannot see an AutoCAD font file. Just because the publishing is being launched from Windchill, it is still Inventor that is creating the DWF file.

Would you expect AutoDesk to support a special font used by Creo? Don't expect PTC to support a font file used by an Autodesk product.

@BenLoosli   I don't in general, but PTC specifically sold this product (Windchill) to our company based on it being 

"CAD agnostic" - meaning you can use any system they support, and to me support means these sorts of details.  And they specifically stated it fully supported Inventor.  

Top Tags