cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

MPMLink - MAPSB - Equivalence Links to Self

GregOlson
15-Moonstone

MPMLink - MAPSB - Equivalence Links to Self

When transforming a eBOM to an mBOM, we have been duplicating without propagating child design parts (basically quick copy / paste).  We have noticed that there are links created between a design part in eBOM and the as-is design part in the mBOM.  The preference Allow Creation of Equivalence Link to Self controls this and the default is yes.....can anyone explain the pros and cons of leaving this yes or changing to no.  My gut tells me that we should just leave alone.....but I at least want to know why.  What would be the use case for both?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Greg,

we have set to No, and we use mainly the action "duplicating without propagating" as in your example.

We choose to set to No , cause when a part(Design) is directly reused in mBOM. In our business case , it is in most of cases a "Buy" case.  So we purchase it as designed by our design department. They are responsible of the part(design) definition

If we keep to Yes, the loop equivalence link will be obsolete each time the design engineers will change something, or iterate the CAD model associated to the WTpart.  So lot of work to maintain equivalence indicator in this case

We do not create the whole MBOM in Manuf view. Also to avoid duplicated work.  Manuf engineers basically only change View , or create new Dowsntream manuf WTpart, when need to restructure the mBOM ("make" case).

So in this case, the équivalence link is created .

Manuf Views are created in a separate folder than the Design View to control Access between the 2 types of engineers

In fact we use the equivalence link indicator as a "to do" list indicator for manuf Engineers:

-if green .  all is OK , Manuf engineers do not have to analyse anything

-if yellow triangle , Design reuse as is do not have to analyse anything - but if needed they can change View to "switch" the sourcing from "Buy" to "make"

-if clock .  need manuf engineer anlysis in case of design change

regards

Gregory

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Greg,

It varies from business to business on how the mBOM is managed.

In certain organizations they might want to have definitive access control and what information is allowed to be modified by the manufacturing organizations, eg : Make/Buy flag , in such cases you may have to create mBOM "duplicate with propagation" which will allow whole eBOM structure is created in Manufacturing view and allowing the manufacturing engineer to do those changes , which is a very common and best practice.

In certain cases, if the most of the manufacturing changes are limited to top level assembly and no restructuring is required, you may want to go with your option.

Thanks,
Raj

Hi Greg,

we have set to No, and we use mainly the action "duplicating without propagating" as in your example.

We choose to set to No , cause when a part(Design) is directly reused in mBOM. In our business case , it is in most of cases a "Buy" case.  So we purchase it as designed by our design department. They are responsible of the part(design) definition

If we keep to Yes, the loop equivalence link will be obsolete each time the design engineers will change something, or iterate the CAD model associated to the WTpart.  So lot of work to maintain equivalence indicator in this case

We do not create the whole MBOM in Manuf view. Also to avoid duplicated work.  Manuf engineers basically only change View , or create new Dowsntream manuf WTpart, when need to restructure the mBOM ("make" case).

So in this case, the équivalence link is created .

Manuf Views are created in a separate folder than the Design View to control Access between the 2 types of engineers

In fact we use the equivalence link indicator as a "to do" list indicator for manuf Engineers:

-if green .  all is OK , Manuf engineers do not have to analyse anything

-if yellow triangle , Design reuse as is do not have to analyse anything - but if needed they can change View to "switch" the sourcing from "Buy" to "make"

-if clock .  need manuf engineer anlysis in case of design change

regards

Gregory

GregOlson
15-Moonstone
(To:GregOlson)

Great responses Gregory and Raj.  Thanks for the help on this.  I believe initially we will set the preference to NO then.

Greg..

I would appreciate i whats the behavior "Child Structure Options" wrt equivalence link and view revision as the PTC help document doesn't provide the full details.

• Do not duplicate
  • Duplicate with propagating
  • Duplicate without propagating

regards

Warning...I have very limited knowledge on the subject, this is the results I have seen when testing.

• Do no duplicate will not include any children in the mBOM, you'll need to manually move them over.
  • Duplicate with Propagate will include children and automatically create MFG view for each child
  • Duplicate without Propagating will include children, but at the original view (design)

Hope this helps

Greg

Thanks Greg, this helps.

Top Tags