cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

ModelCheck and Windchill

FrankMenendez
1-Newbie

ModelCheck and Windchill

Is it possible to leverage ModelCheck, where the ModelCheck (MC) parameters are added to the Pro/E model automatically upon running MC, and not add the MC attributes to the EPMDocument (CAD Document) object type in Windchill? (Without getting check in warnings)

I am curious to see if its possible to implement ModelCheck without adding the MC attributes to the CAD Document type in Windchill AND users do not get check in warnings about the designated MC parameters in the Pro/E model.

Is it even possible to undesignate those attributes?

Or how about preventing MC from adding those attributes to the CAD Document? (Not preferred for obvious reasons - just curious)

On a side note - the config option, allow_create_pdm_params does not effect this undesignate ability for those parameters - nor do they permit the deletion of those attributes from the Pro/E model.
11 REPLIES 11

Frank,

I've collaborated with the ModelCHECK team to try to answer your questions. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

-Rosemary

Is it possible to leverage ModelCheck, where the ModelCheck (MC) parameters are added to the Pro/E model automatically upon running MC, and not add the MC attributes to the EPMDocument (CAD Document) object type in Windchill? (Without getting check in warnings)
If the user intention is to skip the validation when performing checkin, then there are two ways of doing it, listed below:

1. Set the following preferences in Windchill to perform ModelCHECK validation at check in. If the requirement is to not to perform the check the user needs to set the ModelCHECK Validation (Boolean) to a value NO. These Windchill preferences are disabled and locked at the site level by default. Clearing the value of ModelCHECK Configuration will skip validation of the configuration files.

2. If you want to checkin the file without getting check in warnings, I believe you can set the option for ModelCHECK Number of Errors (integer) to a higher number (such as 69 or 70) so that even if the errors are reported WC Gatekeeper will allow the model to check in without any issues.

I am curious to see if it’s possible to implement ModelCheck without adding the MC attributes to the CAD Document type in Windchill AND users do not get check in warnings about the designated MC parameters in the Pro/E model.
I'm not sure I fully understand why you could want to do this. This is the basic requirement to map/configure ModelCHECK with Windchill, which I guess you are trying to get around. Therefore it makes sense to map/implement these basic attributes such as “MC_ERRORS, MC_MODE, MODEL_CHECK, MC_CONFIG” etc.

Is it even possible to undesignate those attributes?
From Windchill no and from Pro/ENGINEER no. The reason is because they are locked by ModelCHECK and are READ only.

Or how about preventing MC from adding those attributes to the CAD Document? (Not preferred for obvious reasons - just curious)
If this is the case, you can simply upload the file without creating IBA’s for validation. Also as additional information, beginning in PDMLink 9.0 M080 MC_MODE will be available to ModelCHECK Gatekeeper as an optional validation parameter.

On a side note - the config option, allow_create_pdm_params does not effect this undesignate ability for those parameters - nor do they permit the deletion of those attributes from the Pro/E model.
This config option is meant for other PDM created parameters. However, ModelCHECK related parameters are created by ModelCHECK and are locked by ModelCHECK because these are the parameters that the users should never have access to. From a Pro/ENGINEER point of view, if the user would like to avoid them then they need to turn off the parameter creation in ModelCHECK. One can do this by setting ADD_ERR_PARM, ADD_CONFIG_PARM, ADD_DATE_PARM and ADD_MODE_PARM to N in all ModelCHECK run modes, in the config_init.mc file.

cc-2
6-Contributor
(To:FrankMenendez)

It is also possible to configure ModelCheck so that only MC_ERROR is created and not the other MC_* parameters.

NacNac,

Yes you can create only MC_ERRORS. In the config_init.mc file you will
find several option to add MC params. Set only the one highlight in the
image below to Y. We have ours set to Y in Interactive and Save mode
only.

A word of caution. Updating any MC_* param will mark the model as changed
even if its value does not change.

David

David,

Can I ask what version ofPro/ENGINEER are you running?

You mentioned that models are marked as out of date when the ModelCHECK parameters are updated, even when their values do not change. From my discussion with a few people at PTC this was a very old issue, which we all believe was fixed quite some time back. I'll continue to search to see if I can provide you with an exact version and build number.

Rosemary

Rosemary,

We are running WF 3.0 m170.

I logged a call,
C4666326
with PTC in 2005 on this issue. If it has been finally fixed that's
great news.

David

All,

I've confirmed that this issue was fixed in WF4 F000.

Rosemary

All,

Is anyone using ModelCHECK Gatekeeper for PDMLink?

If so, have you run across the problem with family tables? Below are the
steps followed to recreate the issue.

Problem steps;
You can run ModelCHECK on a generic
ModelCHECK adds the 4 or 5 parameters to the generic file.
Save the file and verify the family table.
Check-In the Generic file.
Gatekeeper stops the Check-In due to the Instances not having the
ModelCHECK parameters

Only work around that I am aware of is listed;
You can run ModelCHECK on a generic
ModelCHECK adds the 4 or 5 parameters to the generic file.
Save the file
Open the family table and add the 4 or 5 ModelCHECK parameters as columns
Verify the family table.
Save the file
Check-In the Generic
The Generic and Instances get Checked-In.

Please let me know if anyone out has a different work around, knows what we
are doing wrong or that it is a PTC issue.

Raytheon

Lance Lie
Sr Computer System
Technologist II
310.616.1551 office
310.426.4968 cell
310-647.0315 fax
-

We're not yet using with "gatekeeping" but have had several exploratory meetings on this. We feel very strongly that preventing check in is absolutely the wrong approach.

We require all users to check in all work every day, and and policy is "if you spend 5 minutes on company time on any design using Pro/E, the company owns that information, and the way we own it is having it checked into Windchill."

Instead of preventing Check In, we are focusing on preventing a state change (probably via Promote). This will likely be done via workflow code that looks at the ModelCheck parameters - it may be done via the new "business rules" once available.

We're interested in how others feel about preventing check in vs. preventing something else. Seems to us that the last thing you want is to have a user abandon a design and not check it in if they need to wrestle with a complex situation that Modelcheck finds errors in.
Dmi3U
15-Moonstone

You do not need to add these parameters to the family table, but you do need to verify the family table after MC parameters are added to the generic.

Dmitry,

We did verify the family table after the MC parameters were added to the
family table and Gatekeeper still does not recognize the parameters in the
instances until we manually add them as specified in our work around.

Raytheon

Lance Lie
Sr Computer System
Technologist II
310.616.1551 office
310.426.4968 cell
310-647.0315 fax
-

Dmi3U
15-Moonstone

I do not have to add MC parameters to the fam table with the gatekeeper. They are designated parameters to the EPM attributes though. That insures that all cad documents (proe) are getting MC parameters
Top Tags