cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

No parts are visible in my workspace.

SC_8321054
11-Garnet

No parts are visible in my workspace.

Hi,

recently i was working on new parts in my workspace, I saved them. the other day when I opened my workspace, they are vanished.

can someone help me to retrieve my data back and why these issues arose?

Br,

Sandeeep C.

11 REPLIES 11

Hi @SC_8321054 

Usually it is cased by changing  cache location, that the user chose different configuration during a Creo Start 

or some customer automatization set different creo cache location. 

sometimes the cache is "corrupted" by Windows update installation because the cache is located in the windows user profile folder, Sometimes the recovery point is reversed and the user profile location is revert to some time point. 

If the creo cache is corrupted and exists, then it is possible to check if there are lid/sid files and recover them by recovery tools

Article how to recover creo local cache

If the cache is removed/deleted/destroyed by windows update, then usually data are gone. 

PS cache configuration is in PSF file ENV=PTC_WF_CACHE=

default location is userProfileFolder\AppData\Roaming\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf

example C:\Users\userName\AppData\Roaming\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf

PetrH

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:SC_8321054)

Set this option in your config.pro so the files are uploaded to your server side workspace whenever they are saved.

dm_upload_objects automatic

Dobi
15-Moonstone

Maybe a silly thing but one I do see often:

Do you have any "search in table" filters going that are filtering out the data? 

Are you on a table view that doesn't show that data type in your workspace? 

Are you in the right workspace? 

Assuming it's not something simple and the files were in fact in your workspace but now aren't (and you're in Creo) you can recover them with the recovery utility but that also assumes some sort of cache corruption that needs to get sorted out. 

Are you running multiple CAD tools? 

SC_8321054
11-Garnet
(To:Dobi)

Yes, I checked these things first because silly things happens sometimes. but no all were set to default.

and one more thing, now I can see all the files in my workspace. I don't know what's going on.

I have taken the backup now.

I will follow above tips mentioned by @BenLoosli  and @HelesicPetr. will let you know if these works.

Br,

Sandeep C.

Hi @SC_8321054 

I could see same situation with one customer many years ago.

The company use an own creo start application that did a lot things on background that user can not know about. 

For example set a ENV=PTC_WF_CACHE location for each creo session. 

User started a first creo session. Worked normally. Checked-in all work. Then keep the first session open for some reason.. Run second session and started work as usual. He didn't upload all work, he just closed the first and second creo session also turn off computer and went home.

Next day he started first creo session.

The starting background process pointed the creo session cache to the first location from previous day.

That was a point.

That moment user was very disappointed that he lost all his work for last 3 hours.  

This is just story to show what can happen that user could not know 😄

PetrH

@HelesicPetr you guessed it right 😳, we have our own Creo startup application too.

But I have suggested them to take backup every time they work, to prevent any data loss. lets play safe 😊

Sandeep c.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

I think many sites have a batch startup script for Creo. We added this to ours:

REM set the .wf folder location; if it doesn't exist create it
REM User the users folder to accomodate multiple users on the same workstation
@set PTC_WF_ROOT=C:\Users\%USERNAME%\creo7ws
@set PTC_WLD_ROOT=%PTC_WF_ROOT%

While the OOTB does put the default location in a user specific folder, it buries it deep. We've experimented running it on a non-remote drive (for backup in case PC dies) or a common folder. Agree with @HelesicPetr , if the user does not run the same script every time like shortcut on desktop or runs from Start-Program folder, the workspace location will be changed and it will seem like work is lost.

Hi @avillanueva 

Yes agree with you. 

Also some sites has own start application program that cares about the creo CACHE

The application set unique cache for each creo session (each start) to avoid cache corruption .

PetrH 

FYI we have followed a couple other PTC users and now delete our psf files with the startup scripts which prevents users from running Creo unless they use our startup script.

This can cause other issues though. There are a few instances in which Creo launches a stand alone instance in the background to run a task. For instance when running a Simulate design study. If you delete the psf then the design study can't run. In a bigger scheme of things though its worth it for us because it prevents more errors than it causes.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

The other thing I do when installing Creo is to uncheck the box that puts the Creo shortcuts in the Start menu.  That way our users MUST use my shortcut to start Creo.

We run it to this all the time assisting users. Our main culprit is they accidently changed their table filter. Make sure it is set to "As a list"

as a list.jpg

Announcements

Top Tags