cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Options & Variants: Changing default save locations

N-Pyn
13-Aquamarine

Options & Variants: Changing default save locations

Hi everyone,

I have created a product configurator with Options & Variants and would like to set default folder for different items generated by it.

The configurator generates a Variant Specification, a Variant Part Structure and a few new Module Variant Parts for some CTO parts with modified parameters.

I believe I can direct the Variant Specification to a specific folder with OIR but Variant Part Structure and Module Variant Parts are proving to be a bit more difficult.

Windchill Help has instructions for setting the default folder for Module Variant Parts:

https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.0.0/en/index.html#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FExpVariantProperties.html%23

You can specify the context and location where to store variant parts by defining variant properties
in the Part Structure Browser.

To define the variant properties:

1. Select Selected > Properties > Variant Properties.

The Variant Properties window allows you to change the context name for the new variant part or specify a
new location. Any new variant parts will be created within the specified context name and location.

2. To change the context name, either type in the context name or click Locate to search for the context name.

3. To change the location, either type in the location or click Browse to navigate to the new location.

4. When you have finished modifying the properties, click OK to save the changes.

I can't find that "Selected" or "Variant Properties" from anywhere in the Part Structure Browser? Does anyone know where it is? (It would be nice to have some screenshots in Windchill Help)

And how could I set a default folder for the Variant Part Structure? Do I need to make a new Part subtype for it and then define default folder with OIR or is there some simpler way to do it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
N-Pyn
13-Aquamarine
(To:AB_9493957)

Yeah, it seems that it has been removed in Windchill 12.

I ended up just using OIR to define the default folders.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AB_9493957
5-Regular Member
(To:N-Pyn)

I found the same issue. Maybe it is visible in some newer version (I am using still 11.1)... one way around this is to use the old Product Structure Explorer *PSE, there you can set the default folder for variants.... PSE is being discontinued and many companies do not support IE style old browsers that allow running java applets, but maybe you still have some of those around.

N-Pyn
13-Aquamarine

I'm using Windchill 12.0.1.2.

Where can I find this old Product Structure Explorer?

AB_9493957
5-Regular Member
(To:N-Pyn)

In my 11.1 system it is still in Tools/Open/Open in Product Structure Explorer.... then java application opens with configurable and you can set the path in one of the menus there. But PSE was planned to be deprected, so maybe it is gone

N-Pyn
13-Aquamarine

Yeah, it seems that it has been removed in Windchill 12.

I ended up just using OIR to define the default folders.

Top Tags