cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Oracle Tips For PDMLink Administrators - technical paper.pdf

jaguilar-chang
1-Newbie

Oracle Tips For PDMLink Administrators - technical paper.pdf

This is the technical white paper that goes with the presentation given at the 2015 PTC Live conference.  It contains basic tips and techniques for the PDMLink Administrator.

9 REPLIES 9

Anyone know of an equivalent document for MS SQL?

Question from the author to the community:

Have you found this paper in general useful?  If so, would the community be interested in a follow up paper discussing more advanced Oracle database administration topics and techniques, still focused on the PDMLink Administrator?  Please share your thoughts.  Thanks.

Yes, very helpful.

Thank you!

You might want to add a brief section about installing Oracle for Windchill.  This is addressed by PTC, but may be helpful to have in this document.

Thanks for the quick reply Mike.  The second paper that I had in mind would include "advanced" topics for the PDMLink Administrator, such as installation of Oracle software, creation of a new database (e.g. on a devl server for rehosting purposes), application of quarterly Oracle bug and security patches, setting up proper Oracle database backups (hot, cold, export), and topics like that.  I'm trying to gauge the level of interest before I commit to doing this.

Appreciated.

If you are open to it, I'd be happy to review / maybe contribute.  A few of us were in almost the situation you describe on the first page.  The folks involved that knew Oracle were suddenly no longer involved at one point several years ago.  That Saturday, we started Oracle admin classes at the local university extension.  We hired out Oracle teacher as a consultant with great success.

If you get real ambitious, might want to also address:

1) Sequences are default Cache for an Oracle database created by Windchill.  Best to set to NOCACHE.  Need to show people how.

2) For a CAD-heavy system, the EPM tables get large, and possibly STRINGVALUE.  Huge performance improvement from a few dedicated tablespaces with multiple data files.

3) Some practical tips for rehosting using the rehost utility, esp.

thanks

I was at the session at PTC/User and between those notes and your paper, I have found them to be very helpful for someone with no Oracle training.

Mike has added some good suggestions for an advanced paper.

Along with the sequences being set to NOCACHE, add a section on how to set the sequence number to what your company wants to use.

Another added section maybe how to use the AddColumns command to extend the database for additional attributes.

Both of these topics have been covered in the community, but putting them in 1 document would be nice.

Julio,

thanks for what you've done and I'm interested also in the second paper.

Marco

Julio,

is there already a second paper ?

kind regards,

Fred

Dear Fred:

Unfortunately the two topics that I submitted to this year's conference did not get accepted.  I submitted the "Basic" Tips and Techniques talk that I gave last year, and I also submitted the "Advanced" Tips and Techniques talk.  Neither got accepted this year; therefore, I have not written the paper yet.  Like many of you I don't have a lot of free time, so I was going to make the time to write the "Advanced" paper for the conference.  I will try again next year and see what happens.  Thanks for your interest though!

Top Tags