cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

PTC Live 2014 presentations

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

PTC Live 2014 presentations

If you haven't already discovered, all the PTC Live 2014 presentations are now ready to download.

http://portal.ptcuser.org/p/do/sc/catid=69

Marco

Marco
6 REPLIES 6

I was fortunately able to attend, but looking at the presentations now they just don't seem to be very useful without the audio to go with them?

Regards,

The lack of usable content without the presenter is my only complaint with the training that PTC provides to presenters.

Don't get me wrong, the training is great!, and I believe it's really raised the level of the presentations since they started doing it. This is an added benefit of PTC taking over the conference.

But one of the points in the training is to pare down the content on the slides so you don't overwhelm the viewer with too much data while you're talking. Also they essentially say the slide are not supposed to be a training manual, they should require you to speak with them. They don't need to stand alone.
The problem is, when you take those slides without the presenter notes, you miss a lot, ... sometime to the point of being useless.

Being in the engineering field, I'm pretty sure most of us want at least enough detail so we can either follow along step by step, or figure out where to find additional information on the topic.

The way I approach my presentations is I'm creating documentation for myself and others in my company. I want this presentation to pretty much stand alone and be a reference document.

I've won three best presenter awards, so I'm pretty sure most of the attendees like the detail I put into my talks.

The way I strike that balance of not overwhelming the audience is to only show one bullet point at a time on each slide. I don't use the animation capability in Powerpoint to do that. I duplicate the slides. More work, but it translates to my iPad better. For example my attendee copy of the presentation is 48 slides, my presenter copy is 130 slides.

One other problem, after downloading the zip file and looking at my own presentation (CUST301), I see that it's not the last version I uploaded, and it was reformatted to put two slides on each page. The original pdf I had uploaded, included my speaker notes in the upper left corner of each slide. When you mouse over it you can see what I intended to say on that slide. That missing from this version.

[cid:image001.png@01CFE2D4.E15CE760]

I'm happy to email anyone a copy of my presentation.

David Haigh

Hi David,
thanks for your explanation.

Instead of sending your presentation by email could you upload it on PTC/User libraries?

Marco Tosin

Da: Haigh, David A. [
Marco

Ok it's there. In Resources, Library, Best Practices.

Hi David,

thanks for sharing your presentation, you did a very good job.

I read both the presentation with notes and the PDF file and I see your precious job with the notes in ppt.

I set timeout at the minimum and the number of licenses in use has decreased a lot.

I have also tried many times to use CADminTools from Edwin but it never works.

Probably I've done something wrong even if help file seems to be simple.

Marco

Hi David,

using your presentation I've done a lot of work to maximize use of our Creo licenses.

To track better also which user is using a specific license I have a question for you.

Your Perl script catch the result of ptcstatus.bat command, extracting and manipulating columns 1 (name of license) and 2 (quantity in use).

I have made some change of your script to track all kind of licenses we have bought and, with no knowledge of Perl language, I completed my job.

Question is: how can I extract from ptcstatus.bat also lines with username@pcname in Perl?

TIA

Marco

Marco
Top Tags