cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Promotion Request Downgrade

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Promotion Request Downgrade

I can't believe this has not been a topic on the boards before.I searched but couldn't find anything. Althoughthe document on PTC's site says it was reported in 10.0 M030. Document CS80255. So maybe there hasn't been enough time for people to find it?

We are moving forward this weekend to go from 9.1 to 10.0 M040. We have found many things that, while most are not show-stoppers, are dissappointing changes. They are not huge issues butwhen adding them all up...

Regarding the subject, we are not currently using change manangement. However, providing eveything goes ok with the upgrade we plan to start a project to implement it CM. I am really looking forward to that.In the mean timewe have been creating promotion requests manually.

In 9.1 when we create a promotion request and go through the "wizard" the objects on the Object List pageare automatically marked to be promoted. In 10.0 M040 you have to first select the objects to add to the promotion request (just like before) and then select the check boxon the promotion request of the objects (second time)and pick the iconSet Object for Promotion. They are NOT set to be promoted automatically.

There is an SPR (2144458) on this issue but there is no expected build release to fix it yet. I guess I just wanted to make everyone aware of it. If this topic has already been discussed then please forgive me.

Steve Galayda

10 REPLIES 10

In 10.1 M020 if you selected the objects (checked their box) then hit "Create New Promotion Request" all of the objects you initially selected will be automatically set for promotion. However if you add objects to the table manually via copy and paste etc, you will have to also manually set them from promotion.

[cid:image001.gif@01CE1029.8739F8B0]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer
STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:STEVEG)

Steve,

In M040 it's not Create new. It's under Actions from the search results page. Actions > New > New Promotion Request. I have never copy/pasted the way you mention. I still have to select the objects to promote a second time.

Stephen Galayda
CAD/PDM Administrator
HydraForce, Inc.
(847) 229-3188

Yeah that is the same Actions in 10.1. Copy Paste is new, allowing you to include other objects from different locations without only relying on the collector. If you are only pre-selecting and hitting New Promotion Request then 10.1 has what you need. I would move to that instead of 10 M040. They are close in their cycle so I wouldn't worry about bugs etc and if Change Management is something you want then 10.1 has significant improvements in features.

[cid:image001.gif@01CE1041.AFB42320]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

I like the fact that there is the option to add items to the promo request in new ways.

Is there EVER a time where you want to collect/add/past objects on a promo req and not want them to be promoted?If so can you explain a use for that? If not, why doesn't WC automatically mark any object that is displayed on the promo req as an object being promoted. Better yet, if this 'option' doesn't offer me anything, I don't even want to see a notification because if it is on the promo request it should be promoted. Period. Plane and simple.

Again, is there is ANY reason that the user would want objects, regardless of the manner of adding (e.g. initially selected,collected, etc), on a promo request but not want them promoted?

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"

I don't get this either. I don't think any of the other collectors (change management) function like this at all. You can remove/exclude easily enough. All this option does is confuse my users who wonder why their objects LC didn't get updated.

[cid:image001.gif@01CE20B5.273DE420]

Steve Vinyard
Senior Solution Architect
RussPratt
5-Regular Member

Yes, but it isn't very common. I've seen a few companies use the case where they want the promotion package to represent a complete "design package" to simplify the presentation to the reviewer/promoter. In that case some objects in the package may have already been released (think reuse). I've also seen it where items like specification docs that are already released are included in the promotion package of the parts/assy's that are actually being promoted. Essentially, it just minimizes the need to look for the related information.

Russ

In Reply to Lawrence Scheeler:

I like the fact that there is the option to add items to the promo request in new ways.

Is there EVER a time where you want to collect/add/past objects on a promo req and not want them to be promoted?If so can you explain a use for that? If not, why doesn't WC automatically mark any object that is displayed on the promo req as an object being promoted. Better yet, if this 'option' doesn't offer me anything, I don't even want to see a notification because if it is on the promo request it should be promoted. Period. Plane and simple.

Again, is there is ANY reason that the user would want objects, regardless of the manner of adding (e.g. initially selected,collected, etc), on a promo request but not want them promoted?

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

So are you saying that using the Promotion Request is the way to create a "Baseline" of already released and newly releasing objects? So if I go to look at that promotion request a year later will it show me those objects that were not released on the promotion request but added to it in addition to the objects that were released?

Steve G

Russ,

That is an interesting use for Promo Reqs. Since this sounds pretty uncommon, I hope PTC changes the default action (and adds a config option for the company/user to set) in order to reduce mistakes and time loss of constanly having to reselect objects.

I look forward to hearing your response for Steve Galayda's question about baseline & promo reqs.

Lawrence

In Reply to Russell Pratt:

Yes, but it isn't very common. I've seen a few companies use the case where they want the promotion package to represent a complete "design package" to simplify the presentation to the reviewer/promoter. In that case some objects in the package may have already been released (think reuse). I've also seen it where items like specification docs that are already released are included in the promotion package of the parts/assy's that are actually being promoted. Essentially, it just minimizes the need to look for the related information.

Russ

In Reply to Lawrence Scheeler:

JeffZemsky
17-Peridot

The Promotion Request holds a baseline underneath for the items in it by default. This has been the behavior all along.

Per your original question - we have always had people who put together a promotion request that contained items related to the promotion as well as items being promoted.

Can you help me understand why items would need reviewing if they are not changing? Because we currently do not do this, I am not familiar with why this would be desirable but am interested to know more.

Top Tags