cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Promotion -Unrelated Objects- Windchill Functional Limitation

BrianSullivan
9-Granite

Promotion -Unrelated Objects- Windchill Functional Limitation

Hello.

A group of Users work on unrelated models in a workspace. Basically a red-line department. They can have 40 to 50 parts in a Workspace unrelated.

In Intralink 3.X ofcourse you could select "Promote After Check in" during the Check In Process. In Windchill you do not have this option. In Windchill you do not have the Briefcase Functionality (Why does the ClipBoard not have this functionality) so you can not collect models from different product/folders and then promote them all at once.

Users required in WIndchill to Promote them basically individually.

Has anyone come up with a work-around to this functional limitation.

Brian Sullivan

PS
No one had an alternative to my last query... IT tools such as Perf Mon mention to monitor netowrk traffic to let remote users know when transfer complete or monitor the folder as I was doing. Or to use a Replica Server.
1 REPLY 1

If the CAD documents are in the same Product or Library context, you can do an advanced search from the context search page (not the global search page), select the items from the list and promote from there. This means that the minimum number of promotion requests is basically the number of different contexts that the CAD documents come from.

There must be a technical reason that the promotion functionality is available from the context search page but not the global search page, but I'm not sure what it is.

Brian

In Reply to Brian Sullivan:

Hello.

A group of Users work on unrelated models in a workspace. Basically a red-line department. They can have 40 to 50 parts in a Workspace unrelated.

In Intralink 3.X ofcourse you could select "Promote After Check in" during the Check In Process. In Windchill you do not have this option. In Windchill you do not have the Briefcase Functionality (Why does the ClipBoard not have this functionality) so you can not collect models from different product/folders and then promote them all at once.

Users required in WIndchill to Promote them basically individually.

Has anyone come up with a work-around to this functional limitation.

Brian Sullivan

PS
No one had an alternative to my last query... IT tools such as Perf Mon mention to monitor netowrk traffic to let remote users know when transfer complete or monitor the folder as I was doing. Or to use a Replica Server.
Top Tags