cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Publisher Queue - Entry Management

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Publisher Queue - Entry Management

Does anyone know what happened to the ability to change the status of queue entries in WC 10.2? In 9.1 I could change the entries from "Ready" to "Suspended". Not seeing that in 10.2 Thanks.

[cid:image001.png@01CF57E9.F07FAF50]

[cid:image002.png@01CF57E9.F07FAF50]
8 REPLIES 8
rhegde
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

Tom,

Use "Reset" button to resubmit "Noneventfailed" jobs in Windchill 10.X. As
per my knowledge "Failed" jobs in 9.X correspond to "Noneventfailed" jobs
in 10.X
[image: Inline image 1]

--
Rochan Hegde
Productspace Solutions Inc.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I guess I should clarify. I want to be able to stop publishing (delay for now) a large number of queue entries, but I don’t want to disable the queue altogether. In 9.1, I could simply suspend select entries. I don’t see any way to do that anymore.

I’m afraid that ability is gone in 10.x. I went through a couple cases with PTC tech support on this and really got a lot more into the working of queues than I wanted at the time. The state apparently wasn’t deemed useful. I’m not sure why you want that state but I finally got through to them that I wanted this “Suspended” state so I could terminate stalled or otherwise bad jobs. This isn’t possible by this interface in 10.x.

Just in case this is useful, my workaround (the PTC TSE agreed it is the only way he knew to do it) is one of two things.

1) If the job is already being processed by the worker, kill the xtop process associated with the job. Note that I have a configuration with each worker instance isolated and named so I can determine which xtop is associated with which worker (and thus job) by using Process Explorer (Task Manager could work too with the right column shown).
This will “fail” the running job right away. The queue will move along to the next job and a fresh xtop tree will start.

2) If the job is not at the worker yet but still “downloading”, there is no xtop to drop. The job also doesn’t follow rules of timeout in this state. The only thing I’ve found to do is to delete the downloading folder on the server (path shown in the WVS Job Monitor details for the job). It will likely re-create the folder.
It will not stop the job right away. What it will do is when the “download” is finished, the job will fail right away because of the missing files.

The above issues were much more common with our large assemblies before we implemented Position Assembly publishing.
TomU
23-Emerald IV

PTC is saying, “As stated in the article (CS37270<),">https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS37270>), ability to reset FAILED entries in the Schedule queues has been removed. The ability to skip over entries was removed from UI in Windchill PDMLink 10.x because as it was never a feature, nor tested as such, and didn't necessarily actually work all the time in Windchill PDMLink 9.1.”

· My contention is that It WAS a feature and WAS fully documented, and without it there is no ability to suspend a large number of queue entries.

· Deleting the entries is not desirable because there is no list that can be used later to resubmit them.

· Disabling the queue is not an option because any new queue entries that get submitted will not be processed.

· Killing the xtop process or deleting the download folder is not an option because there are thousands of entries sitting in the ready state waiting to be processed. (Folder has not been created yet.)

I like the idea of positioning assemblies, but the requirement that nothing move in the assembly seems like it would be a show stopper. Most of the components in our assemblies are constrained to each other. If the thickness of one component is changed, the other parts are necessarily going to change positions in the assembly.

Tom U.

I had the same argument with PTC regarding the need for that feature. The TSE got it when I showed what was up too. I think I got an enhancement request in, if not an SPR, but don’t have much hope in it coming to anything soon.

One thing about killing xtop or deleting the specific download folder (not all of them) is it only impacts the one job, not the rest of the jobs in the queue. But again I have my workers configured to be independent on processes and working locations. That was partly to keep Windchill from getting confused on where it put representations with our publishing volumes and partly for easier administration of this sort. True, this only is for clearing stalled/bloated jobs, not pausing jobs.

FYI, another argument for this is when a large assy is published on the fly that takes 2 1/2 hours and when the user doesn't get what they want in 30 seconds they publish it multiple time until they realize they have clogged up every cad worker. It's an admin pain to clean up

On Apr 16, 2014, at 5:04 PM, "Daniel Reid" <-<<a style="COLOR:" blue;=" text-decoration:=" underline&quot;=" target="_BLANK" href="mailto:-">>">mailto:->> wrote:

I had the same argument with PTC regarding the need for that feature.  The TSE got it when I showed what was up too.  I think I got an enhancement request in, if not an SPR, but don’t have much hope in it coming to anything soon.

One thing about killing xtop or deleting the specific download folder (not all of them) is it only impacts the one job, not the rest of the jobs in the queue.  But again I have my workers configured to be independent on processes and working locations.  That was partly to keep Windchill from getting confused on where it put representations with our publishing volumes and partly for easier administration of this sort.  True, this only is for clearing stalled/bloated jobs, not pausing jobs.

That's been one of my primary needs for this (and my workaround below)!
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Final word from PTC: "This feature has been removed. If you want it back submit a product idea."

They did also say there is a way to go into the database and extract a list of entries from the queue to later use to repopulate the queue after manually deleting the pending jobs. That is not something I'm interested in doing at this point. I'd probably just delete the jobs and later schedule a publish for all objects missing a default rep.

Tom U.
Top Tags