cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Recover part from cache file

M.B.
1-Newbie

Recover part from cache file

Hi

We had some Windchill server reconfiguration that resulted in some of our users losing their local work. I read some post about how it was possible to recover data from cache file but it seems that I'm unable to actually do it.

I tried to do some test by

-opening a lid_ file in my cache folder with wordpad

-finding the name of the part in the lid_ file

-saving it with it's associated file name on our windchill server (ex: test_part.prt)

-trying to open the part with the new renamed file

At this point, I get an error message stating that the file format is invalid and can't be opened. Is there something I am doing wrong? I supplied the files I used for this simple test.

We are on CREO 2.0.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:M.B.)

With the new part in your workspace, simply select it and choose "Update" from the tool bar. On the page that pops up, be sure to change the download arrow to the reuse triangle. This will "snap" the new file to the existing Windchill object, but keep the changes in the new file in your workspace.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomU
23-Emerald IV

I think Wordpad is altering the file. If I compare the two files in a text editor (like Notepad+), there is a distinct difference. If I simply rename the original file from "lid_6114321769534849026.wfcont" to "test_cache.prt" it opens just fine.

Ron Thellen over at the PTCUser site created a utility to do this for you. It works very well. I have attached both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions to this message. Hope this helps.

M.B.
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

Well, I found my problem. Apparently, when renaming, I was only changing the name of the files and not their extension. It is working now!

Also, when salvaging parts from cache folder, is there a way to "associate" them to parts in windchill? When I open a CAD from a lid_ file, it creates a new part in my workspace that seems to be independent from the original part.

Thanks for your help!

TomU
23-Emerald IV

With the new part in your workspace, simply select it and choose "Update" from the tool bar. On the page that pops up, be sure to change the download arrow to the reuse triangle. This will "snap" the new file to the existing Windchill object, but keep the changes in the new file in your workspace.

Brndn_4
8-Gravel

After doing a little research, I've found that you can find more information about this process here. I suggest using option 2 because I have used this utility, or one similar, and it is fairly simple to use. The bigger the cache, though, the more painful this process might be depending upon what you are trying to recover. Also, I advise copying the .wf (or workspace folder in question) directory elsewhere so you don't potentially jeopardize other workspace content. Once you recover what you want, you can easily load it into Creo 2 (workspace) and update it.

M.B.
1-Newbie

The recovery program is working perfectly! The only issue I have with it is that in our windchill server, the parts common name & file name are often different, which result with the recovered parts having the wrong name... Also, if the common name have a space in it, the recovered part's name will only have the caracters that are before the space.

Anyway, this should be fixable with additionnal manual renames.

Thank for your help!

Top Tags