cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Recycle bin or undo Delete

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Recycle bin or undo Delete

I know this does not exist (Is there a recycler in Windchill) but I think it should.  Short of a undo action or recycle bin, I was wondering if people achieved this in some other way.  I can see adding an action which does a movement but does not actually delete.  For example, you deny delete rights to users but they are allowed to do a custom action in its place which moves the object to a "to be deleted" folder which is hidden.  Periodically, the admin clears the folder of the objects.  Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I used to do this in projects by removing Delete permission and putting a Recycle Bin folder at the root level of the project for users to cut/paste their unwanted items to. It's not super intuitive to cut/paste into a folder to "recycle", so it had limited success.  telldunkin

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:avillanueva)

Won't work if the files have been checked-in and have any linkage to another file.

Windchill maintains the control over all files and their usage.

It might work for a drawing or an assembly that was no drawing, but I think components will be a problem unless it is new and never placed in an assembly.

I used to do this in projects by removing Delete permission and putting a Recycle Bin folder at the root level of the project for users to cut/paste their unwanted items to. It's not super intuitive to cut/paste into a folder to "recycle", so it had limited success. It would be nice if this were an OOTB capability, but I understand the complexity of hanging onto all the recycled items and providing the ability to restore them later. Can you imagine the rollbacks required to restore an old CAD item that had structure and change dependents?

I can see where this could be more applicable to documents, but its all about the dependencies. 

Assume here that I am referring to WTDocs which should have less linkage. I like the approach.  Trying to avoid accidental deletion and having to dive into backups.

I used to do this in projects by removing Delete permission and putting a Recycle Bin folder at the root level of the project for users to cut/paste their unwanted items to. It's not super intuitive to cut/paste into a folder to "recycle", so it had limited success.  telldunkin

Top Tags