cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Revision of Part Instance

IanWexler
3-Visitor

Revision of Part Instance

I have an Instance created for specific units of our product.  I have released the Instance through the change process.  We have had a change to a specific unit and I need to Rev the Instance from A to B and make the changes accordingly.  When I do this, it makes the same change in the Rev A instance as the Rev B instance.  Is there a way to stop this from happening so I am able to show a historical progression of this unit?

Thanks in advance,

Ian Wexler

Configuration Manager

Digital Signal Corporation

7 REPLIES 7
kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:IanWexler)

I remember fighting with this as well...  If I remember correctly you need to Revise the Configuration (or create a different one) and relate to your Part Instance.  When I looked at it, my first inclination was thinking that there were two layers to it but there are three, with added dimensions if you take Views into consideration... WTPart Structure (Design/Manufacturing View) ==> Configuration ==> Part Instance.

It would be really nice if you could just update the Part Instance is the post-build phase, and have the Configuration drive the as-planned.  I think another reason that you need Configuration in the mix is to support Overloaded and Modular Part Structures for configurable products, even if your product structure is not overloaded or modular.

Thanks Kevin,  I do actually have Configurations for each type of build and can assign instances to whichever Configuration.  I am having issues when I Rev the Instance to B and switch the Configuration to the new Build. Rev A changes with it.  I also have issues with the Instance, when I change the serial number of one of the parts in the BOM (which has it's own configuration), it changes the serial number in the Rev A and Rev B.  This happens when there is no change to Configuration, just a swap out of a serialized part with another.  I was hoping it would keep the Rev A with the old serial number and Rev B would show the change to the new serial number.

Ian - this is what should happen.  Are you just changing the Serial number (eg part stays the same, but replace Pump 1 serial 123 with Pump 1 serial 124)?

Jeff,

Yes, that is exactly what I am doing and I was hoping Windchill would allow for changing out of serial numbers, but keeping the historical info for the serial number change.

Ian

Ian - it absolutely does.  I can add some slides next week on the process steps

Ian,

I have attached an example of revising and changing a serialized component above.

Awesome, thanks Jeff!

Top Tags