cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Revisions

cmaciejowski
1-Newbie

Revisions

We are implementing Windchill and the way it is setup right now the revisions carry an iteration number A.1, A.2, A.3. When released Windchill display A.3 Released. Is it possible to get the released revision to a solid "A" Released?

2 REPLIES 2

Cyndi,

Welcome to the wide, wonderful world of Windchill. May your sanity last longer than mine has... 

Here is a snapshot of my whiteboard, I had drawn this up for some internal discussions and I think it might help here too.

20160324-154757.png

So the A.3 is the version.  Windchill uses versions internally, everywhere for everything.  (Almost.)   You won't be able to get rid of that, to my knowledge.  You can display just the revision on drawings and things with a little parameter / attribute magic, however.

The iteration changes everytime someone checks out an object, modifies it, and checks it back in.  Iterations are always numeric.

The revision changes only when someone  revises an object. Revisions can be either ALPHA or NUMERIC depending on how you set Windchill up.   Or both, we have ALPHA for preproduction and NUMERIC revisions for production released objects.

The combination of the revision and the iteration make up the version.

So it kind of depends on where you want to see just the revision, I guess.

-marc

There are 3 Windchill parameters that you need to look at.

PTC_WM_REVISION, PTC_WM_ITERATION and PTC_WM_VERSION

Like Marc said, PTC_WM_VERSION will be a combination of the PTC_WM_REVISION+PTC_WM_ITERATION.

We use PTC_WM_REVISION on our drawing formats for the revision block.

Top Tags