cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Running WC 11.0 M020-CPS03 - Can anyone tell me which components of Windchill still require Java?

mhess
1-Newbie

Running WC 11.0 M020-CPS03 - Can anyone tell me which components of Windchill still require Java?

I realize that we are supposed to be at Java 8 Update 76 or above,  But I would like to know what parts of Windchill still use Java and what happens if the Java version isn't at Java 8 Update 76.

Please Advise

6 REPLIES 6
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mhess)

Windchill is one giant Java application.  The whole thing is using Java.  It is certified with certain updates of Java but that doesn't mean it won't work with other updates, but you will probably be on your own if you run into issues.  Keep in mind as well that Windchill comes bundled with it's own version of Java and, unless you tell it otherwise, it will use it's own bundled version exclusively and ignore anything else that might be installed on the system.

mlreece
8-Gravel

Tom is correct that Windchill at the server level is all Java, but I think Mark means the javascript stuff that runs on the client.

There are still a lot of the Admin functions (like vaulting rules) that still use the JavaScript.   It would be interesting to see the list of what is still pending, and a which release it will be mitigated.

mhess
1-Newbie
(To:mlreece)

That's exactly what I'm looking for,  Would be nice just to have to worry about Java versions on user PC's.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Ah, in that case you want to read this article:  https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS160578.  It lists every place that a Java applet is still used.

mlreece
8-Gravel
(To:TomU)

Thanks!  

jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:mlreece)

Just a point of clarification:

JavaScript and Java are very different.  Most every modern web page uses a lot of JavaScript -- it's almost impossible (and pointless) to avoid.  It adds no additional client side setup or (noticeable) complexity.

Use of Java applets in web UI's, however, is a completely different beast -- requiring the Java Plugin or Java Web Start (which are both part of the JRE) for JNLP-launched Java applications and adding a lot of complexity, fragility, etc.

And server-side Java is, of course, another matter entirely -- and there a JDK can be installed just for the server application in question and it does not have to interact with web browser(s).

Top Tags