cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Setting access control policies for objects within a change notice?

lmckee
1-Newbie

Setting access control policies for objects within a change notice?

Hi all,

Admin I and II role is currently assigned to a manager, who would like to first approve the change request then reassign the "raise change notice" task to a Heavy_User, but currently no one else has permission to "create a change notice". I can reassign the "create change notice" task when logged in as Admin I and add the assignee to the Admin I and II role for the specific change, but without "create" permissions they get an error message to contact the administrator when they try to create a new change notice.

In the policy administration I can further give the Heavy_User "create" permission when the object is at "Implementation" state, which half fixes the problem, but is not the ideal solution. Can anyone tell me how to go about creating access policies for objects that are part of a change request / change notice specifically? We also want to allow the Heavy_User to revise parts when actioning a "create change notice" task, which again is currently only permittable by Admin II. (So we want to revise parts that are "Released" state, but only if they are part of a change notice). Maybe this scenario is not possible? If so I would like to rule it out, as I have been asked to not add any other users to the Admin I and II role, so have been looking at ways to make this particular workflow possible through policy administration.

I am new to policy administration so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Linda

8 REPLIES 8
kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:lmckee)

Hi Linda,

There is at least one Product Idea here in the Community that relate to your use case of Revise only when the Object is part of a Change and I encourage you to vote it up. http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/2974

As far as User Revise on Released Objects, you probably need to enable this permission through access policy. What you can do though is establish a "rule" that undoing unwanted Revisions must come through your manager rather than users going to admin directly.

I don't know of any way that would put this restriction in place but pretty much anything is possible with Customization.

As far as the create Change Notice workflow assigned activity you can make a couple of adjustments in the Workflow. Change the participant to another Role (you could assign a specific User here but not the best idea... (just because you can does not always mean you should). The User would need to be in the Role for the Context Team and you can set permission to create a Change Notice (and don't forget to also set permissions for Change Tasks) in the Policy Administrator. If your concerned about your "heavy user" creating Change Notices without authorization there is also a Preference that determines if Change Notices can be created without a Change Request

You can also change the workflow assigned activity for Change Request approval to be a Set Up Participants type to allow the approver to set downstream participation to save reassigning.

Hi Keir,

Thank you for your comments, I tried to look at the link, but unfortunately I couldn't get it to work and I couldn't find it when I tried to search for it either, is there a keyword I should search for to find it? The way I have it set up at the moment a heavy_user can only raise a change notice when at "Implementation" stage and this is only possible after a change request has been approved, but I am interested in where the preference is that you mention to determine if change notices can be created without change requests, is this just a tick box somewhere?

I did try to change the workflow activity for change request to "Set Participants" and I assigned users to the "assignee" role, the problem was the user still needed the permission to create change notices as far as I could see, so reluctantly in the end I gave them permission through the access policies, but only when at "Implementation" stage, which now allows us to do what we wanted, but not for specific change notices, they could in theory create change notices they were not assigned (but unlikely). Most of our users are fairly new to PDM so I am trying to make this as straightforward as possible and only allow actions that are required.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Bjorn,

Thanks for the link, it is a shame that it is not possible to do this, I thought for sure it would have been possible and that I just hadn't found the right menu. I guess our easiest option is to have another user as the Admin II role and to try and somehow amend my administrative policies so that heavy_users can only raise a change notice once a change request has been approved.

That's the reason why I opened up a new idea. The whole Change Management is engineered for a big company, but not for a SME.

kpritchard
4-Participant

Hi Linda,

The tickbox is found in the Preference Manager under Utilities and you can set globally at the Org or Context by Context and is in the Change management Node/Group.

Great thank you, it looks like this was already set up on our system, but I have locked it now as well just to be sure!

lmckee
1-Newbie

Thanks also to Mike Lockwood, who gave me a hand understanding lifecycles on the PDM, which was essential to helping me with my query.

Announcements

Top Tags