cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Tried to import files into windchill/PDMLink..........

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Tried to import files into windchill/PDMLink..........

I tried to get some Solidworks parts into W/C this morning. Finally managed to get the test file in, but I couldn't get it to load into the workspace first, only Commonspace. Then, I was unable to search for it easily. It seems you CANNOT search by filename (the best method), on;y "Name" and "Number". from what I saw.

In addition, I was unable to create a new revision/

Also, if I loaded a Solidworks drawing of an assembly, would it be smart enough to associate the files as it does for Pro/E files? I don't believe so, but maybe someone knows.

As it stands, it seems pretty unusable as a vaulting system for non-Pro/E CAD files. I'm going to recommend simply using a network drive with folders for each revision. Which is a bummer, because that is a HUGE waste of storage space.

Anyone have any experience with this type of stuff?

Grazie!

7 REPLIES 7

Does anyone know if Solidworks CAD files can MANUALY be associated with each other? Like associating an assmbly to the dwg, and all the sub-assemblies and/or parts to the top assembly?

Frank,

Once you have uploaded and checked in files into Windchill you can create WT.Parts. From there, you can associate parts, assemblies, and drawings to seperate WT.Parts, and then associate the WT.Parts to eachother and build the structure you require.

As for not being able to create a new revision, can you be more specific as to what you issue is?

As for searching by file name, when uploading a file (pdf, word doc, etc) to Windchill the default "Name" of an object is the File name from your local drive. If you changed this, you will need to resort to searching via the name you assigned the document upon upload.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:JacobAKoch)

Hey Jacob.

Well, I was trying to avoid WT parts, and simply use the imported Solidworks (.SLDPRT) files. They came in named numerically, even though the filename was what I wanted. I tried to create a new revision in Commonspace, and it didn't work. Same thing when I tried in my Workspace. I haven't spent a lot of time on it, but I HOPE I can rename the "name" and "number" attributes. And, can I add those attributes to the files, or can I only add the attributes to the WT parts and use that?

Also, I cannot import a Solidworks assembly and have it bring the association with it, but have to manually build associations? AND have to first create WT parts, link them to the models, and THEN create the associations by hand?

Thanks!

Was the object checked in before you tried to create a new revision?

Renaming won't be an issue.

Are you using the Solidworks Workgroup Manager to bring your assemblies into Windchill?

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I could not import the object into my workspace, it only worked importing it into Commonspace. So, I tried to change the revision there and.....nada.

I didn't try renaming it yet, but I will. I HOPE it isn't an issue, but with all the other major issues we've had with W/C.......

I didn't know there was a "Workgroup Manager. Is that an optional package?

Thanks!

So the workgroup manager is a package that exists to allow users to upload parts, assems, and drawings from other CAD software to Windchill. I would suggest that you search ptc.com for the download you need and then post back here if your problems still persist after you use the WGM.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Top Tags