cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Upgrade test an different machine

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Upgrade test an different machine

I have exported my Oracle and LDAP data, my cache vaults and run robocopy on my data vaults to my test machine. I have installed OOTB Windchill 11 on that machine and Oracle 12c on the DB machine.

Will the Upgrade Manager work when my machine names are now PDM3 & PDM4 instead of the WC10 machines that are PDM1 and PDM2? Basically it is a rehost/upgrade in one move.

If that will not work, I will need to do the rehost to PDM3 and PDM4 of my WC10/Oracle11g, export all of the data again, then blow away WC10/Oracle11g and reinstall WC11/Oracle12c and then import the data for the Upgrade Manager.

Seems there should be an easier method of doing an upgrade!!!!

4 REPLIES 4

Set the production server name on your test server in the hosts file and install the target Windchill with the same name that the production server.

What do I set in the host file to trick the system?

My production server is PDM1, my test server is PDM3.

Will this still allow me to run both systems independently?

Once I have Windchill 11 up and running with the copied WC10 data Do I need to reset the host file?

I always did a rehost/rename on Windchill right before the upgrade, there are hostname references in repository table and LDAP target config branch which will not be corrected by the upgrade manager. So a rehost to the correct hostname is the best approach. If you trick the system with DNS alias in hostfile, it will work for the upgrade, but you still need  to rehost to make both system accessible from the network.  As for the database hostname, you can provide the new hostname in the upgrade manager or update the db.properties 

I usually write a production server name in a hosts file and install a new Windchill instance with my production server name on a test server.

127.0.0.1 localhost production production.server.com test test.server.com 

Top Tags