cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

What is a WT Part, WT Document, WT Object?

ptc-6026219
1-Newbie

What is a WT Part, WT Document, WT Object?

Hi Guys,

I am having this doubt from a very long time. What is a WT Part, WT Document, WT Object? How are they related and what are its roles and responsibilities? Please explain these with an example if possible or suggest a link to know about these.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rajeshkumar Balaganesan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AL_ANDERSON
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-6026219)

"WT" = "Windchill Technology" , or so I've been told. I always expected "Windchilll" to be abbreviated "WC" as in "WCPart", but I suspect that "WC" looks too much like "Water Closet" so they used "WT" instead.

WTObject is a generic, persistable object of some kind that all business objects extend from. WTParts and WTDocuments are all WTObjects. Parts are business objects representing components and assemblies in a product. Documents are containers with metadata to hold files, like PDF and Word files.

Somewhere in the PTC Online Documentation, I think you can still download the Windchill 9 Object Model in UML. You should try to find that since it shows all of the basic Windchill relationships using the unified modeling language as it used to come out of Rational Rose back when PTC development was still using that tool.

Al

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Have you read the standard Windchill Help topics on these?

AL_ANDERSON
5-Regular Member

"WT" = "Windchill Technology" , or so I've been told. I always expected "Windchilll" to be abbreviated "WC" as in "WCPart", but I suspect that "WC" looks too much like "Water Closet" so they used "WT" instead.

WTObject is a generic, persistable object of some kind that all business objects extend from. WTParts and WTDocuments are all WTObjects. Parts are business objects representing components and assemblies in a product. Documents are containers with metadata to hold files, like PDF and Word files.

Somewhere in the PTC Online Documentation, I think you can still download the Windchill 9 Object Model in UML. You should try to find that since it shows all of the basic Windchill relationships using the unified modeling language as it used to come out of Rational Rose back when PTC development was still using that tool.

Al

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Lori,

can you give us the link of the document mentioned by Albert?

I spent hour in the past in search of that document to use when I create query builder report and I never found it.

Thanks

Marco
AL_ANDERSON
5-Regular Member
(To:Marco_Tosin)

Windchill UML Model Documentation - English

User Role: Developer

Published: 24-Jun-2014

Direct Link: https://support.ptc.com/view?im_dbkey=31185

It is a large zip file. You have to download the zip, unzip it, then open the main HTML file. I can't remember which one is the main HTML file, but just try a few until you find the portal page.

Once you have the portal page, you can click around. Please note that we have had trouble with this on some versions of IE, so if you have problems, then try a different browser.

Thanks a lot Albert.

Marco
KD
4-Participant
4-Participant

If you are using 10.0 or above then go to preference --> Client Customization.Set the value to true.

One extra tab named "customization" will open beside site tab and there also you will find UML and lots of information regarding any OOTB class.

Thanks,

Kaushik

BuddyHudson
1-Newbie
(To:KD)

Hey Kaushik, I cannot find this under preferences? Can you be more specific?

Thanks,

Buddy

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:BuddyHudson)

You are probably looking for it under your user, product or org preferences. It's available under Site > Utilities > Preference Management

9-23-2014+5-24-50+PM.jpg

Yes I was...thanks for the clrification Lori!

Top Tags