cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windchill 11.1 M010 License mess

SOLVED
Highlighted

Re: Windchill 11.1 M010 License mess

When I click on your link I get a 404 NOT FOUND error.

@brueegg,

Wow, that certainly looks like a tangled web indeed.  Since we are very interested in cascading attributes, Windchill 11.1 was looking enticing.  However this throws some cold water on the idea.  We are very interested in our field service techs getting some mobile access to Windchill via Navigate (which doesn't seem quite ready for them, yet) but this looks like it may complicate that issue further.   We also use Inventor and have been having  minor licensing problems, this CAD license problem is very unsettling to hear.

I'll be very interested in how this unfolds.

James Hall
Windchill 11.0 M030 CPS09

Highlighted

I went round and round with PTC when Windchill 11.1 F000 came out about how administrative and test users should not be consuming licenses since individuals are licensed, not usernames or logins.  Multiple logins by the same individual only requires one license. (See the licensing basis document.)  This ultimately lead to the creation of the license exclusion group in M010.

It would seem that PTC has once again failed to take this same requirement into consideration when setting up licensing for the workgroup managers.  You might be able to get around this for now by publishing as each user instead of under a single admin account.  (Set auth=$user in user.properties)  Ultimately they still need to fix this.  Don't let them close the case until they do!

Highlighted

This works when an user creates all the published files. But if a viewer without a license needs to have a step file, it won't work.

Highlighted

Ok, just (almost) nobody from PTC did know how to use the exclusion group. There were even calls in the support database that the wcadmin needs to have a license to publish documents.

The solution is to add the wcadmin to the exclusion group and add this exclusion group to the license profile (e.g. PDMLink license). The same is also working for test users.

Everything fine 😉

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I went round and round with PTC when Windchill 11.1 F000 came out about how administrative and test users should not be consuming licenses since individuals are licensed, not usernames or logins.  Multiple logins by the same individual only requires one license. (See the licensing basis document.)  This ultimately lead to the creation of the license exclusion group in M010. Psiphon

Announcements