cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Combined View for drawing

ptc-4978268
4-Participant

Combined View for drawing

Hi All

can anybody please let me know How we can use the Combined View for drawing.

is it possible if i want to show the datums and surfaces in one view and in other view i dont want to show it by using combined views.

However i tried but, once i place any view, other view also following the layer status of same view even if i chose different combined views for both views.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

I received your comment in the document I posted and I will see what this can do.

We recently discussed using "simplified reps" for this purpose. Combined views use simplified reps so this should be possible.

However, you mentioned layers. You are aware that you can control layers by view rather than overall in Creo, right?

I will explore combined views and simplified reps in drawing and will update my finding soon.

The quick answer is no... with a little yes.

Combined views cannot carry several of the states such as visibility of the components. Drawing views are limited in this way. They can only take on a single state such as shaded or wireframe.

However, simplified reps are maintained with combined views so you can hide assembly components using the simplified reps that are set in the combined view.

This is the what is saved with the combined views (All in the view manager)

combined_view_saved_parameters.png

I suspect all of these are passed onto the drawing view parameters -except- the style. The style maintains the visibility of components.

Therefore, you should be able to echo parts on and off with either layers or simplified reps. And the Combined States (All) will allow quick selection of these for creating views. Technically, you could predefine a view to a very specific set of parameters using these options.

However, one of the options in drawing you have loosely similar to assembly Style is the drawing Component Style. Apparently a similar function but limited. Hopefully this will be upgraded in Creo 3.0.

drawing_component_style_option.PNG

I will admit, I am only slowly learning the syntax and full power of the View Manager options. The interplay between the various selections are not clear nor logical. I always find newly created saved states in many of the tabs when creating new -other- things. It takes some scrubbing to keep all this neat and clean. And then the ramifications in drawings adds yet another level of understanding.

However, having said all that, I can see how this is a powerful tool for presentations and model based documentation. I also recently learned how this can be used in animation sequences. However, I have not found anything even remotely comprehensive in how these feature are best used, or how their interplay matrix is structured.

I will add as a background comment; I have worked in organizations that utilize contract designers to maintain designs through engineering change order processes. Once you cross the bounds of "simple", "intuitive", "traceable" capabilities of the software, you risk serious corruption to drawing files. It is my experience that when a sustaining department takes over the CAD files, initiate an ECO, and check the changes on the drawing, the responsible engineer often looks at -only- the change, and not the drawing holistically. Often times a change such as a newly echoed component would appear in the upper left, when the redline only affected the lower right. the drawing gets signed off and the breakdown begins.

In no way would I stifle the capabilities of the software. I have learned more about Creo (Pro|E) in the last 2-1/2 years than I ever would in such an organizations described and I am happier and more productive for that which I've learned with the help of the members of this forum. Yet, I am well aware of the reality and have to consider carefully who the customer is and who will sustain my work.

Did you use SimpReps or layers to define the combined states?
If you use layers and 'include layer status' when saving the defined views, what you describe should work.

Actually I am following the below steps

1) Created the new part as below

part.jpg

2) Created the layer states “A” showing Surfaces and “B” in which surface will be hidden as below

part_layer.jpg

3) Now we have created the COMB001 having layer status “A” and COMB002 having layer state “B”

comb.jpg

4) And finally I am creating the drawing for this part where while placing the general view of this part, creo will ask that which combined view to be added as below

draw.jpg

5) Here while placing the view first time we selected COMB001 and second time selected COMB002, but both time its shows the same view as below.

layer.jpg

Actually I was expecting that in one view it will show the surfaces and in other view it should not but it’s not happening, can you please help on this.

Back in the model, if you double click each combo state, do they behave as expected?

When i double click on COMB001 then both views are following the same layer status of COMB001,

However i kept both view with different Combo state,one with COMB001 and second with COMB002.

same things happens when i double click on COMB002 both view will follow the layer status of COMB002.

i want both views should have different layer status using Combo state,please let me know is it possible.

Can you please attach the files to have a look at? Use the advanced editor to access file attachment. I'd like to have a quick look at what you rae seeing.

I've been working with the various view manager options in trying to come up with an animation. The whole UI for the view manager really is a strange beast. Things are simply not following what you would expect. We'll get through this, though.

Top Tags